SASS Wire Forum

Rossi 92, Marlin and (non short stroked) 1873 lever angles question

10 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Marlin 94 is the lightest and the KISS of SASS lever guns.

They eject to the right......

I realised today part of the trouble I'm having with my Rossi is a wrist injury that mostly doesn't bother but gets a bit sore and I end up short stoking the action :blush:

Not sure I can learn to shoot sinister, so thinking a shorter (and maybe easier) lever throw would help

I own both Marlins and Rossi '92s.  I find the Marlins easier to lever.  (Mine all eject some brass forward.)  Short-stroked '73s are even easier for me.  Try someone's '73.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

I own both Marlins and Rossi '92s.  I find the Marlins easier to lever.  (Mine all eject some brass forward.)  Short-stroked '73s are even easier for me.  Try someone's '73.

I agree with Canby. My '73 is the easiest to lever, my Marlins run a close second to the '73, and my Rossi '92 is the hardest to lever.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The Marlin was the Gun of choice for many years, followed by the 92, with only a few using a Toggle Action gun like the Henry or 73.
This changed when the 73 Shot Stroking became popular. There is nothing wrong with using a well tuned 92 loaded with a weight forward bullet. Or a nice 94 Marlin. Both of them have spent a lot of time in the "Winners Circle". They are generally found at a better price point than the GROSSLY over priced 73s. 

Edited by Snakebite
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

my Marlin .32 Mag has a really short stroke

Yes, indeed.  And the SS is from the factory design.

And those .32 H&R mag rifles are rare as a hen's tooth.

Rumor has it that only about 600 were ever produced.

Once set up right, smoothed, etc........ it can be one of the finest rifles to own and super fun for CAS.

..........Widder

• Like 1