SASS Wire Forum

Buckles, buckles

Since so many awards are given at annual matches, I'm sure a lot of us have stacks of plaques (mostly the old days) and buckles (mostly these days).  Many will wear one or two of their favorites on their holster/shotgun belts.  But what about the rest, gathering dust?  I did just order a buckle board from Ruby Red Rider that will display a dozen of them in a vertical strip.  But then at the Comancheria Days banquet last night, I discovered a new way to display one, and you don't even need a belt.  

Inspired by rappers with all their bling, I present - - the watch chain fob buckle! :D

Buckle fob.jpg

• Like 11
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Since so many awards are given at annual matches, I'm sure a lot of us have stacks of plaques (mostly the old days) and buckles (mostly these days).  Many will wear one or two of their favorites on their holster/shotgun belts.  But what about the rest, gathering dust?  I did just order a buckle board from Ruby Red Rider that will display a dozen of them in a vertical strip.  But then at the Comancheria Days banquet last night, I discovered a new way to display one, and you don't even need a belt.  

Inspired by rappers with all their bling, I present - - the watch chain fob buckle! :D

Buckle fob.jpg

i thought you were stooped over while you walked last night. Now I know why. LOL

TM

• Haha 3

Thanks,  it was a fun match.  I shot pretty well, but 3 misses and caught my watch chain (minus buckle fob) once when going for shotshells. And I was only 10 seconds per stage behind overall winner Buckshot Sully.  :)

• Like 2

i deal with a lot of trapshooters these days , its interesting that the older ones have a lt of buckles - and they seem to be silver and gold  - so valuable ., it seems some keep them as they have value and others are gifting them to young shooters - same with trophy's , i guess i understand the silver/gold value of these , i also respect the transfering what was once the norm at shoots to the kids that will never see them , its not the norm anymore here , 

La Sombra - just keep telling yourself that buckles are over-rated (well, they are).  If there had been awards for most authentic loads, you and Texas Red would have led the way. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Momentos of shoots and placement have varied greatly over the years...  One of the first clubs I joined back in the 1980's gave coins to the 1st five places in their monthly matches... 50¢ for 1st, 25¢ for 2nd, 10¢ for 3rd, 5¢ for 4th and 1¢ for 5th, for both men's and ladies;  they were dished on one side and had a staple soldered to the concave side for affixing to a leather hatband given the first time you won a coin.  They gave plaques for their annual shoot.  EOT on the other hand, AISTR gave plaques for the top 3 per category and if numbers justified it, buckles thereafter to 10th.  In 1990, when I started organizing cowboy shoots in North Texas, I continued the West End Cowboys traditional coin presentation at monthly shoots.  For our first annual shoot in 1991, LSFSC gave plaques with a buckle affixed for 1st thru 3rd for each category, as I recall.  

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Nostrum Damus SASS #110702 said:

They don't mean much but it is a fun conversation piece on the wall -- especially for our non-shooting friends -- complete with Old West Action Figurines!!

N.D. that looks great!

• Like 1

Enjoyed meeting you and the Misses, Red.  Now you got me thinking...I just checked, and it should be possible to fit SEVEN buckles on a hatband!!  :D