SASS Wire Forum

Have a question about prison

Alpo

Seems like there's a few people here that have been or still are corrections officers.

The prisoners' clothing - how often does it get changed, how often does it get laundered?

I remember reading about a military stockade, in the 60s. The prisoner would get up every morning, strip his rack, then wash his bedding and his uniform, and when his bedding and his uniform were hung out to dry he then would make his bed with clean bedding and put on a clean uniform. This was done every day. They did this on their knees on the concrete floor with a scrub brush. It was part of their punishment.

Somehow I can't see the prisoners at Folsom on their knees with a scrub brush washing their jumpsuits (probably be considered cruel and unusual these days). But I did just suddenly get to wondering how often they were changed and how often they were washed.

Here's one facility's policy:

Laundry/Institution Clothing and Linen Exchange

All institution clothing must be exchanged during your assigned scheduled laundry exchange. You must exchange your sheets and pillow cases weekly as scheduled.

SOURCE

When I worked at OSCI (early 70's) the laundry schedule wasn't relevant to my department.

• Like 1

Should we chip in and get you the "Things to do in Prison" book?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Alpo said:

For certain sure don't want to drop the soap.

Nowadays, some may drop the soap repeatedly :huh:

Edited by Tooky Slim
missing word

IIRC Inmates in California would get 3 sets of State provided outer wear and 5 sets of underwear with one pair of tennis shoes.  They had to turn in clothing to be laundered weekly on a two day turn around.  They also could hand wash personal clothing as needed because personal clothing could not be washed in the State laundry.  Inmates working with food could get additional clothing as could inmates working in a particularly dirty environment.  Camp inmates would get winter coats and hard soled shoes depending on their work assignments.

• Like 1

Ok, IL Dept of Corrections Max Prisons, the Inmates had three changes of clothing issued when arriving, plus whatever they would have from the previous institution. Laundry was done by specific inmates, who would work their way down the gallery cell by cell. They would usually get it done at least once a week. On lockdown, they had to wash their clothes in the sink in their cells.