SASS Wire Forum

Camper TPMS

Eyesa Horg

Just ordered new sneakers for the camper. In order to keep the bunk house boss smiling, would like to get some budget minded TPMS sensors. TireMinder seem to be the most popular at abt. $270. I see a bunch for closer to $100 with decent reviews, but don't want to buy garbage!! Since we only tow it a few times a year, would prefer cheaper units!

Any feedback to share Pards? Much Obliged

EH

I use one like this it's solar charges and runs psi and temp got it at a local camping hardware store for 20 bucks

Screenshot_20240229_145500_Brave.jpg.f4419f8cb1f525090943b821d2618cd5.jpg

10 minutes ago, Texas Joker said:

I use one like this it's solar charges and runs psi and temp got it at a local camping hardware store for 20 bucks

Screenshot_20240229_145500_Brave.jpg.f4419f8cb1f525090943b821d2618cd5.jpg

Now that's pretty inexpensive! Does it work well? Any issue getting the signal from the trailer to the truck cab? I looked at one of those, but most reviews were using on their vehicle, rather than a camper. Thanks.

I have a 27 footer and a quad cab pickup everything seems to work fine with the receiver up on the dash.  The little caps start sending when the detect movement

23 minutes ago, Texas Joker said:

I have a 27 footer and a quad cab pickup everything seems to work fine with the receiver up on the dash.  The little caps start sending when the detect movement

Where does it display the air pressure? I am also looking at the airmoto to see if it is real or junk. It would come in handy to just throw in the glove box.

TM

29 minutes ago, Texas Joker said:

So do you just remove the sensors to check pressure with a gauge before leaving or can ya just tap them to get a current reading. I usually check pressures the day before, before when filling water etc and hooking up a day before leaving. Not a real big deal if ya only have to move it a little after hook up and back it back in!

9 minutes ago, Texas Maverick said:

Where does it display the air pressure? I am also looking at the airmoto to see if it is real or junk. It would come in handy to just throw in the glove box.

TM

The display is typically set up on the dash.

A lot of reviews mention that. I think I'd just leave em out until I'm ready to go especially if they need to get removed to check pressure before departure.

They'll sure give me peace of mind if they work. I had a trailer tire let go a couple decades ago and the damage was impressive. Figures, it was a borrowed trailer to boot! Hated making that phone call. ;)

We use those caps on the heavy trucks I work around and I run them on my pickup. In the last 6 years I have seen a couple times where those pass through caused a slow leak down. 

@Eyesa Horg those TPMS have a lockdown nut that makes it hard to remove.

39 minutes ago, Texas Joker said:

those TPMS have a lockdown nut that makes it hard to remove.

Yeh, I figured they might be! I guess it's one of the cons! But, if just the jiggle from hooking up will talk to the truck, I shouldn't have to remove em just to check pressure. I hate thinking about those china bombs back there. New set of tires and tpms will give me one less concern while traveling!! Always good to have a little warning before impending disaster! :lol:

Not sure what kind is on my camper. It came with the tire monitor system on it. They show tire temp and psi. However…with some of the tires a catastrophic blowout will not give you any warning. But if you pick something up in a tire…it will let you know you are losing air 

Thanks

BTT for more experiences!

16 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

The display is typically set up on the dash.

I meant where on the display unit does it show the air pressure. I don't see a display are on the unit to show this.

TM

38 minutes ago, Texas Maverick said:

I meant where on the display unit does it show the air pressure. I don't see a display are on the unit to show this.

TM

In the picture Texas Joker sent, it's that black box that sits on your dash. The screen shows temp & pressure for each sensor.

28 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

DO NOT WAIT. get rid of those China Bombs before you do anything else.

You will get no warning before they fail.

They are off the camper and in the garage now! New Carlisle Radial Trail HD hopefully getting delivered today. I've seen pix of Castle Rock China bombs like mine explode on the spare tire rack! Had no issues with mine, but thought about them back there constantly! Read a lot of reviews and talked to tire people. The Carlisle's appear to be as good as the GY Endurance and around half the price, hope they work out. TPMS will just give me a little more peace of mind. When I was young, I could change a maypop like a NASCAR pit crew! Now have difficulty getting down to the road and back up, let alone lugging the tire!:lol:

15 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

When I was young, I could change a maypop like a NASCAR pit crew! Now have difficulty getting down to the road and back up, let alone lugging the tire!:lol:

Just like the rest of us.

As an FYI to anybody looking for tires, NEW cheap Chinese tires have to meet the same specifications as American made tires, so there's no reason NOT to get them. I've had a set of Westlakes on my Jeep since about 2017. They're about worn out at 30,000 miles with no problems.

I've had the TST-507 tire pressure monitor system on my camper for the past 7 years.  It works great as long as you understand it's weaknesses.  The flat watch type batteries need changing at least every other year.  They recommend putting metal valve stems in the wheels because the centrificle  force on the standard rubber valve stems could lead to premature failure.   The sensors are just screwed on to the valve stem and the air is sealed with a rubber o ring inside the sensor.  It takes a special anti-theft wrench.  The more you take them on and off, the more often you may experience a slow leak.  Don't cross thread them.  It's easy to do.  You can also create a leak at the wheel/valve stem if you tighten or loosen the sensor without supporting the valve stem.  

You often hear horror stories about Chinese tires blowing up and causing all kinds of damage.  I suspect what is happening is a slow, undetected leak leads to over heating and then sudden failure.   You won't feel a trailer tire going flat like you will on you passenger vehicle.  You'll only get notified of the flat tire during disintegration as it whips around and beats your trailer to death.   The best trailer tires made won't survive being driven at highway speeds with no air pressure.  

Kinda funny! Several years ago, a Buddy called and offered me a free camper! I said sure and 4 hours later he was here with it from over 200 miles away. After he left, I noticed his china bombs looked soft, all were between 12 & 15#!

Never heard of China bombs back then, so aired em up to 50# and put over 4K on them before ditching the camper! I think I was lucky. A lot of automotive tires are made in China and Viet Nam now. GY is pretty much the only one making trailer tires here now. Availability is sparse and the price high. My nephew runs them and has 2 fail. Also read some reviews saying the same. Who knows! I think I'll feel better with Carlisle's than Castle Rocks however!

We have got to the point we only run Maxxus tires on our camper.

Haven't had any problems after going to those. We put new on every 3rd year even if they still look new.

Been thinking about some kind of sensor for them. But haven't done any research of it yet. 

3 minutes ago, Anvil Al #59168 said:

We have got to the point we only run Maxxus tires on our camper.

Haven't had any problems after going to those. We put new on every 3rd year even if they still look new.

Been thinking about some kind of sensor for them. But haven't done any research of it yet. 

Hopefully this thread will aid in that research for you! Be sure to follow it!

We had Westlakes on our trailer and had several blowouts. The last one threw the tred and still had the full amount of air in it. It was riding on the steel and we had a driver behind us notice it. We changed to the GY endurance and have had no problems for several years.

kR

Archived