SASS Wire Forum

Find it or invent it!

Considering the collective intelligence, experience and good common sense here in the Saloon, a question, if I may.

First, the situation:

My wife's car lives in the attached garage.

My wife's car has a keyfob, and like most keyfobs in this Godless and plastic age, it can open the trunk, activate a panic alarm, lock/unlock doors, or remote start. In a moment of utter, absolute, so-tired-I-was-cross-eyed fatigue, I tried to unlock the front door with the keyfob, and had no success, but that's beside the point.

My wife's remote lives happily in her purse, along with two frying pans, three pair of pantyhose, a Volkswagen, a spare tire, a double handful of wrapped peppermints and a scaly monster just waiting for me to reach in and try to retrieve anything: as her keyfob has plenty of elbow room, we have no problems with its housing situation.

My keyfob, on the other hand, lives in my pants pocket.

When I sit down, it's not unusual for compression of said keyfob to lock or unlock doors, set off the panic alarm, or three times now, REMOTE START THE CAR WHILE IT'S SITTING IN THE ATTACHED GARAGE.

I don't need to get my name in the paper from asphyxiating due to car exhaust, with the wife's car idling in the attached garage with all doors closed.

There's the situation.

Here's the question.

Although I've found silicone and leather key fob slip over covers, I have found none that are rigid.

My next move will be to cut an oval from the next milk jug to run dry, and Gorilla Glue this over the leather keyfob cover: if I need to trigger a button, it slips out of the leather easily enough.

So --

Anyone know whether rigid keyfob covers are commercially available, or do I fabricate one, take out a patent and make a million bucks?

Edited by Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103
  • Like 2

Linen,

This is not a solution in the vein you are asking, however, I just slip the key fob inside the center fold of a handkerchief in my thigh pocket. That seems to be enough padding to keep me from setting off unwanted activities of my Van. Then reach in my pocket and easily access the fob without removing it from said pocket or handkerchief. Of course when you need to use the bandanna the fob has to be dealt with. Most solutions to perceived problems involve compromise.

CJ

• Thanks 1

Ya could maybe buy a car with a standard transmission and just leave the fob in the cup holder. :P

A leather fob cover.  My car has a leather fob cover that I received when I purchased the car.  With the leather fob cover the thickness of the cover is slightly higher than the fob buttons.  That eliminates the possibility of accidentally depressing them.  I would also consider disabling the ability to remote start the car with the fob until you have this situation solved.  We wouldn't like it if you and the Mrs. were a statistic either........

While it may be a bit inconvenient, you can also do what a lot of folks do and put a carabiner in your key ring and attach them to your belt outside your pocket.

8BED21E2-970E-4A8E-9096-725E334CA5A7.jpeg

Edited by Calamity Kris
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

Considering the collective intelligence, experience and good common sense here in the Saloon, a question, if I may.

First, the situation:

My wife's car lives in the attached garage.

My wife's car has a keyfob, and like most keyfobs in this Godless and plastic age, it can open the trunk, activate a panic alarm, lock/unlock doors, or remote start. In a moment of utter, absolute, so-tired-I-was-cross-eyed fatigue, I tried to unlock the front door with the keyfob, and had no success, but that's beside the point.

My wife's remote lives happily in her purse, along with two frying pans, three pair of pantyhose, a Volkswagen, a spare tire, a double handful of wrapped peppermints and a scaly monster just waiting for me to reach in and try to retrieve anything: as her keyfob has plenty of elbow room, we have no problems with its housing situation.

My keyfob, on the other hand, lives in my pants pocket.

When I sit down, it's not unusual for compression of said keyfob to lock or unlock doors, set off the panic alarm, or three times now, REMOTE START THE CAR WHILE IT'S SITTING IN THE ATTACHED GARAGE.

I don't need to get my name in the paper from asphyxiating due to car exhaust, with the wife's car idling in the attached garage with all doors closed.

There's the situation.

Here's the question.

Although I've found silicone and leather key fob slip over covers, I have found none that are rigid.

My next move will be to cut an oval from the next milk jug to run dry, and Gorilla Glue this over the leather keyfob cover: if I need to trigger a button, it slips out of the leather easily enough.

So --

Anyone know whether rigid keyfob covers are commercially available, or do I fabricate one, take out a patent and make a million bucks?

My keys with a fob are never in my pocket at home, there’s a special place for them on the kitchen counter. The only time the keys are in my pocket is when I’m in the car. If I’m inside a restaurant or shooting range or mall or wherever they’re in my pocket and nothing ever happens because I’m too far from the car. I don’t see a problem here. 

I had this same issue. Answer was to get a flat, hard object to add to your key ring that will cover the buttons while in your pocket. Enter the “Tick Key”. It’s an aluminum tool intended to remove ticks when they get attached.  Works great. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=tick+key+amazon&rlz=1C9BKJA_enUS958US958&oq=tick+key&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUqBwgBEAAYgAQyCQgAEEUYORiABDIHCAEQABiABDIKCAIQABjJAxiABDIHCAMQABiABDIHCAQQABiABDIHCAUQABiABDIHCAYQABiABDIHCAcQABiABDIHCAgQABiABDIHCAkQABiABNIBCDYwMDFqMGo3qAIAsAIA&hl=en-US&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Works!

Sam Sackett 

IMG_0325.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Go to Hobby Lobby or Tandy Leather, get a thick piece of the odd sizes they sell and some rivets. Cut the leather to size to slip over the fob. Put the rough side in, so it doesn't slide loose in your pocket.

• Thanks 1