SASS Wire Forum

Masters of the Air

1 minute ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

The two series mentioned used  almost 0.0 CGI. This series depends on it.

You can see it more noticeably in MOA than Elvis, but it doesn't detract too much for me at least. The German fighters seemed to me to be flying past (nose on) way too fast, but I forgot the Fortress speed had to be added to the speed of BD109s & FW190s

Incredible how they can use it to create that belly landing in Ep 1

Hard to comprehend the fear these airmen had to overcome, the bravery is just on another level. 

• 4 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

No. The nature of these shows requires so much computer-generated animation that I find it distracting. To me it’s like watching a video game.  

To be honest Abilene I haven't really noticed it (not to any distraction) ..... its just an INCREDIBLE series of unbelievable bravery.

My wife's Grandfather (one of the nicest person I ever met) was R.A.A.F and based in England and was crew in a flying boat. They attacked a German U Boat and sunk it, there were survivors and they circled back and pushed a life raft out of the plane for them.  As they were on their way back they spotted another German U Boat on the surface, this time they got heavily damaged by the U Boats deck gun, pilot managed to fly for another 15 minutes before they crash landed in the Channel and they spent 16 hours in a life raft before being picked up by an English warship......that was just one of his missions. When he signed up and was shipped off to England he had a young wife and 2 month old daughter. 

On 1/27/2024 at 10:05 AM, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

I was once asked if I had any hero's. I said it's no one I ever met and I don't know their names. It's a 19 YO kid flying at 30,000 feet with only an 1/8" of aluminum for protection and a leather flight suit! 

I can agree. My father was a Flight Engineer/top turret gunner on B-24s in the Pacific.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Anyone else watched any of this series yet??????

I have watched all of them so far.

TM

No, not yet. I resent having to pay what Apple+ wants. I've read the book.  Besides which, I saw a lot of B-17 footage in freshman AFROTC classes, and talked with a number of ETO and PTO aircrewmen about how it was. Watch "Twelve-o'clock High" with Gregory Peck once in a while.  Bless 'em all!

I have a lot of respect for the airmen of WWII:

Bomber Command aircrews suffered a high casualty rate: of a total of 125,000 aircrew, 57,205 were killed (a 46 percent death rate), a further 8,403 were wounded in action and 9,838 became prisoners of war. Therefore, a total of 75,446 airmen (60 percent of operational airmen) were killed, wounded or taken prisoner.

• Thanks 1

my father served in heavy bombers in the pacific so i dont know much of the 17 crews except that we lost too many , IIRC most crews did not complete all their assigned missions in one way or another , 

in my fathers case his 29 although shot up a bit made it through the war and returned home , id have to refresh my memory from his info as to casualties but most of his crew started on saipan with Morgan's command [yes the memphis belle piolet] and almost all made it home after we dropped the bombs ,