SASS Wire Forum

More NRA news from the Outdoor wire

"They believe that any legitimate reform must begin with a purging and significant downsizing of the current 76-member Board ..."

Cut off the head and the organization's pieces will fall apart. That is part of the attack. Not that there is not some new governance needed, but dissolving the bulk of current leadership could be a death blow to the one organization which actually has real safety training and safety certification, a huge organization of trainers, counselors, and real leadership with a history going back far more than a century.

And despite the press and other attacks, really does have a lot of legal battles going on for our rights.

But a purge of most leadership is the easiest way to destroy rather than save all of that.

A 76-member board of directors is a joke. Especially where they have exercised no oversight for years over the executive. They long ago abandoned their legal responsibilities as directors.

When LaPierre filed bankruptcy on behalf of the NRA in Tennessee, the board of directors knew nothing about it. This is, to say the least, unheard of in any normal organization. The bankruptcy judge laughed him out of court; NRA wasn't bankrupt, he was trying to stall the New York procedings.

No doubt there's going to be a lot of corporate infighting to get the NRA back on track. No way around it.

Edited by Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

im with red gauntlet here , im hoping the NRA can get back on track , focus on mission and continue to be successful , but it cannot do so without a purge of pastr bad actors , it also needs to streamline to an active board willing to do what the donations think they are doing with their funding , get rid of the corrup[tion , or we will lose the strongest voice we have had 

• Like 6

We members need to cut the Board of Directors to a reasonable size and make the current outsized one into an advisory group.

We need to have a CPA firm such as Deloite perform an extensive audit.

Our essential operations, such as firearms safety training, competitions and legislative activities need to be strengthened.

William H Sills III

Benefactor Member 

Rifle & Pistol Instructor

Range Safety Officer

Pistol, Rifle & BPCR competitor

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

16 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

"They believe that any legitimate reform must begin with a purging and significant downsizing of the current 76-member Board ..."

Cut off the head and the organization's pieces will fall apart. That is part of the attack. Not that there is not some new governance needed, but dissolving the bulk of current leadership could be a death blow to the one organization which actually has real safety training and safety certification, a huge organization of trainers, counselors, and real leadership with a history going back far more than a century.

And despite the press and other attacks, really does have a lot of legal battles going on for our rights.

But a purge of most leadership is the easiest way to destroy rather than save all of that.

Sorry, I don't see how culling the thieves from the organization hurts the NRA. If you'll remember, the so-called "head" of the NRA, and his associates, managed to cull the folks that tried to bring the improprieties to light from the NRA and discredit their claims of theft and fraud. You want these same people to remain in power because the NRA will fail without them? These same people are the entire reason that the NRA is in the shape it is today. I believe that a complete forensic audit is needed to truly root out the theft and fraud within the NRA, then legal action to recover all funds illegally diverted to personal use. It's the only way I see to restore the members and most importantly, future members, trust in the organization.

On the subject of board members...seventy six board members...for what? Perhaps one should look at what these so-called board members actually bring to the table...besides a $100,000+ salary. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Sorry, I don't see how culling the thieves from the organization hurts the NRA. If you'll remember, the so-called "head" of the NRA, and his associates, managed to cull the folks that tried to bring the improprieties to light from the NRA and discredit their claims of theft and fraud. You want these same people to remain in power because the NRA will fail without them? These same people are the entire reason that the NRA is in the shape it is today. I believe that a complete forensic audit is needed to truly root out the theft and fraud within the NRA, then legal action to recover all funds illegally diverted to personal use. It's the only way I see to restore the members and most importantly, future members, trust in the organization.

On the subject of board members...seventy six board members...for what? Perhaps one should look at what these so-called board members actually bring to the table...besides a $100,000+ salary. 

The blatant thieves do need to go. And any who do not really direct anything are administrative waste.

The calls for a total purge are misguided.

The audit is essential

We, the members need to know, in as much detail as.possible, exactly what has been going on with our organization in order to get it back on to its intended goals.

• Like 3

Remember, we took our NRA back decades ago and we need to do.it again

The organizational structure must be changed

Our life members must be in control  our Board of Directors must be accountable to the membership, they must report to us regularly, need our authorization for major activities and expenditures and report the audit results at our annual meeting. 

We life members are the life blood of the NRA and must take back control.

The younger life members have to get control.

I'm a SASS El Rey life and Founders Ranch Platinum and Cowboy Fast Draw 36 and Life 15 so I sure as H  ain't the future!!!

I don't make long term plans. If I survive lunch, I think about dinner!!!

:-)

• Like 1

Needless to say, the current Amercian Rifleman has the usual Chicken Little articles from LaPierre and others, as always.

How amazing would it be if the official publications of the NRA would have candid and informative articles about the actual state of affairs of the organization!

Edited by Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619
  • Like 4

On 1/25/2024 at 8:51 PM, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

A 76-member board of directors is a joke. Especially where they have exercised no oversight for years over the executive. They long ago abandoned their legal responsibilities as directors.

When LaPierre filed bankruptcy on behalf of the NRA in Tennessee, the board of directors knew nothing about it. This is, to say the least, unheard of in any normal organization. The bankruptcy judge laughed him out of court; NRA wasn't bankrupt, he was trying to stall the New York procedings.

No doubt there's going to be a lot of corporate infighting to get the NRA back on track. No way around it.

These are all sound and valid points.

Latest testimony from LaPierre bizarre and disheartening:

NRA Questions Wayne LaPierre’s Spending During NYC Corruption Trial - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

[this may have a paywall for some, but it will be in general news sources soon.]

Basically he agrees that his spending was excessive and unjustified, and against NRA 'policy'. Many things; the only one new to me were the $10,000 hairdresser appointments for his wife.

Too pathetic for words; especially how long the members put up with him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/26/2024 at 4:23 PM, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Needless to say, the current Amercian Rifleman has the usual Chicken Little articles from LaPierre and others, as always.

How amazing would it be if the official publications of the NRA would have candid and informative articles about the actual state of affairs of the organization!

An editorial addressing what’s going on with LaPierre and the entire sordid affair in the next NRA issued magazines might help restore a minuscule amount of trust but until there is a big change in the way they operate and administrate I doubt much change is in store. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1