SASS Wire Forum

Realistic Gun Values....

Howdee all, 

I am trying to get an idea of some gun sale values....Not pie in the sky, not lowball giveaways. But what is reasonable.

2nd Gen Colt SAA 5 1/2" bbl .38 Spcl

2nd Gen Colt SAA 5 1/2" bbl .357 - NRA Commemorative

S&W New Model #3 was blued...in .44 Rus.  Star ejector is inoperable - all matching s/n

S&W New Model #3 was nickeled...in .44 Rus - fully functional, crisp action - all matching s/n

Merwin Hulbert SA 44, 3rd Model (with topstrap), in .44 Rus, square butt - needs some action action work - all matching assembly and s/n

All have been shot in matches over the years.

But now I am trying to get an idea as to what I have...yes, I do know, condition is everything, etc., etc.

Just looking for some ideas.

Thanks all in advance!

Are you looking to sell for top dollar or are you willing to take a cut for the convenience of a face to face transaction?  If you are willing to list online and ship you open yourself up to a much greater market, but you will also have shipping and auction fees.  If you are going to limit yourself to local deals you might have to accept a lower asking price or be willing to hold onto it for a while.  I am not an expert and I don't know anything about S&Ws or the M&H as far as value but I do buy the occasional Colt. 

The 2nd gen Colts are highly collectable but condition is everything.  Just a wild guess but a good to nice condition 2nd gen Colt is going to go for about $2500-3500 on gunbroker based off of finished auctions.  38 special while a plus in the SASS world is not as valuable as the 45s.  The commemorative guns usually sell for significantly less than standard configurations and the box and condition are very important to collectors.  

Edited by July Smith
  • Like 3

Look on Gunbroker or Guns America.  Prices for most kinds of guns fluctuates too rapidly for a printed book to be current on prices.

With EOT coming up in February, a great venue exists in the Swap Meet at EOT for you to sell these personally, and even have several FFLs on the premises to help you with the transfer, if needed.  Or, sell directly to one of those dealers in cowboy guns who set up a shop presence all week.   Running those guns by a couple of dealers early in the week would at least give you a solid "low end" price at which you could move the gun to a dealer.   Then, if the swap meet doesn't sell it, you may still be able to get that price (or slightly lower) at a dealer at the end of the week.

With historic guns, a fair price is highly dependent upon how wisely you negotiate the sale, as book values may not even apply.  Condition is king, and condition is judged only with guns on the bench "under the scope."

good luck, GJ

Edited by Garrison Joe, SASS #60708

Okay, here's my opinion, based on what I have seen similar guns going for within the past year.  

>2nd Gen Colt SAA 5 1/2" bbl .38 Spcl

I doubt you'd see one like this for less than $2000 unless it's really, really beat up. 
$1700 to $4500, depending on condition.

>2nd Gen Colt SAA 5 1/2" bbl .357 - NRA Commemorative

Oddly, for some reason, even brand new in box Commemoratives tend to sell for less than an otherwise identical generic Colt.  Plus, the NRA Commemoratives had a reputation for having sandpaper actions.   I know mine did.  I would personally not pay more than $1200 for this, but you might realistically see a price of $1500 to $2500.

>S&W New Model #3 was blued...in .44 Rus.  Star ejector is inoperable - all matching s/n

"Inoperable" really hurts.  $500 tops.

>S&W New Model #3 was nickeled...in .44 Rus - fully functional, crisp action - all matching s/n

Sounds like it's not in the best looking condition even if it works right.  $1200 to $2000.  That high end is prolly to high, but you never know.

Merwin Hulbert SA 44, 3rd Model (with topstrap), in .44 Rus, square butt - needs some action action work - all matching assembly and s/n

Normally, I think Merwin's are cool guns that can command a good price, but you say it needs some work.  Getting these worked on can be tricky.  Depending on how much and what kind, and therefore how expensive, the work needed will be, anywhere from $500 to $3000.

These are the kinds of prices I see at local shops, tempered by what I "think" is a legitimate price.  (Which is not always what I'd be willing to pay.)

Thank you all, and thanks for the good intel Garrison Joe and HK Uriah.

Does anyone already know when the swap meet is, and how it works for entry?

Luckily, I only live a few minutes from BASF.

Swap Meet is Thursday, Feb 29,  per the posted schedule (as of today)  "6:00 PM – 8:00 PM Swap Meet – Main Tent, Out of Respect for Our Vendors,
Please, NO Selling Until 6:00 PM"

I'd think you will want to get a "Conventioneers" badge so that you can bring in and sell guns at the event.  If you haven't yet done that, contact Sunshine Kay at

register@endoftrail.org for details.

good luck, GJ

Gunner, as has been mentioned above, you must be registered as a Conventioneer or Shooter to sell at the EOT Swap Meet Thursday night 2/ 29. You can register online with a credit card HERE or request an emailed application from Register@endoftrail.org. After registering, you can request a seller number from that same email address. If there are more sellers than tables we will combine smaller sellers onto one table. All firearm transactions must comply with all State and Federal regulations, and all sellers must sign a form acknowledging this. Legendary Guns, our FFL Sponsor, will be present all week to legally transfer firearms when necessary. There will also be a California FFL, American Gun Works,  onsite for CA residents.

As a Conventioneer you can also participate in Long Range and Speed competitions at no additional cost. Warm up matches, Cowboy trap, skeet, and sporting clays can also be shot for an additional fee. Come out, sell some guns, and have some fun!

• Like 1