SASS Wire Forum

Talk about friends

Got a call Sunday from a friend told me to meet him in town this is what he gave me jm marlin pre-safety 357 has not been shot just setting in gun safe . Talk about friends been trying to buy it for almost 20 years and he gives it to me I am truly blessed . 

IMG_1572.jpeg

• Like 14

thats a great gift - i had to buy mine ,- you have great friend there , 

i will add that i love mine , it works smoothly and flawless with most everything i fed it , but i set up my reloads to the spec of what i shot that worked the best and i have absolutely no complaints so far , you will like this one a lot i think , 

They did keep a few of the claws in stock for warrant replacements. I got one last year. A shame they stopped making them,they worked well but did kick the brass forward . At least in ours.

• Like 1

@Slater @Slater's In House Guns can help you with the Marlin!  He’s a heck of a gunsmith. Lives near @Widder, SASS #59054 

Hugs!

Scarlett

3 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

They did keep a few of the claws in stock for warrant replacements. I got one last year. A shame they stopped making them,they worked well but did kick the brass forward . At least in ours.

You want more spring tension. 

I learned this, when I was doing the prototype testing of the extractor for RPP.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

RPP no longer make that extractor :(

Any idea why they made such a stoopid decision?   It was an excellent product and they must have sold a ton of them.  I have them in all my Marlins, and all the Marlins I upgraded and slicked for others.

• Like 2

Just now, McCandless said:

Any idea why they made such a stoopid decision?   It was an excellent product and they must have sold a ton of them.  I have them in all my Marlins, and all the Marlins I upgraded and slicked for others.

Told me, they didn't sell enough of'em. 

I was very surprised when I was told this!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

You want more spring tension. 

I learned this, when I was doing the prototype testing of the extractor for RPP.

I did put the heavier springs they came out with back then in. I just gotta remember to stand back from the window!;)

The original claw in mine wore down on the bottom corner and stopped extracting. They replaced it immediately! They also were good enough to sell me a spare in case Ellie's fails. The new ones are black compared to just in the white. But up and running within a few days. RPP is great to work with. I would also like to see them make em again.

Edited by Eyesa Horg
Added text
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

I did put the heavier springs they came out with back then in. I just gotta remember to stand back from the window!;)

The original claw in mine wore down on the bottom corner and stopped extracting. They replaced it immediately! They also were good enough to sell me a spare in case Ellie's fails. The new ones are black compared to just in the white. But up and running within a few days. RPP is great to work with. I would also like to see them make em again.

Did your extractor come with 2 different length springs?

38 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Did your extractor come with 2 different length springs?

When I bought them, they came with the short spring. 

After reading threads from you and Widder back then, I ordered the long springs and installed those. Seems it's been 5 years or so. 

41 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

When I bought them, they came with the short spring. 

After reading threads from you and Widder back then, I ordered the long springs and installed those. Seems it's been 5 years or so. 

They bought their springs from Wolff Gunsprings. 

Call RPP and see if they have any springs left.

Flush out the extractor channel with carberator cleaner. You'll be surprised how much crud is in there.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

They bought their springs from Wolff Gunsprings. 

Call RPP and see if they have any springs left.

Flush out the extractor channel with carberator cleaner. You'll be surprised how much crud is in there.

I may even have an extra of the long one! Have to check. You're not kidding about the crud! It's always a pain just getting it back out. Gotta work at it and keep the solvent to it. Been doing at least once season. Otherwise, I've just been keeping the claw pivot and exposed area clean.

Do you think maybe my spring has weakened even being the long one? It still feels good and is always fun to put back in,although I'm pretty good at it now!

21 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

I may even have an extra of the long one! Have to check. You're not kidding about the crud! It's always a pain just getting it back out. Gotta work at it and keep the solvent to it. Been doing at least once season. Otherwise, I've just been keeping the claw pivot and exposed area clean.

Do you think maybe my spring has weakened even being the long one? It still feels good and is always fun to put back in,although I'm pretty good at it now!

Yes, spring may have taken a set. 

You can call Wolff Gunsprings and order the uncut springs. 

Just tell'em it's the springs they sold to RPP.

FWIW; I never remove the extractor for cleaning.

I flush it with spray carb cleaner and then spray lube into it and blow it out with compressed air. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Told me, they didn't sell enough of'em. 

I was very surprised when I was told this!

I had been trying to buy another, but they were "out of stock" for quite a while.   I guess they hired a new bean counter who decided to put the money into black-rifle parts.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, McCandless said:

I had been trying to buy another, but they were "out of stock" for quite a while.   I guess they hired a new bean counter who decided to put the money into black-rifle parts.

Call them... ;)

They make everydangthing in house and the extractor 'hook' is very complex to make.

Maybe, if enough folks call, they'll reconsider making them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When I sent them a thank you note, I asked them to consider running another batch. Wonder if what happened to mine was an actual issue for them.

The bottom corner of the claw wore to a rounded shape in mine. Took a season plus to be a real issue. Started with maybe once or twice a match with a failure to extract. Then I tried using annealed brass and only one or two out of ten would extract. That's when I called RPP. With the new claw zero issues. I couldn't see anything that the bottom corner was rubbing on to cause the wear. Plenty of clearance where it rides up the ramp to the chamber. Ellie's shows no wear whatsoever, but hasn't been shot as much as mine.

added: All my brass is StarLine 

Edited by Eyesa Horg
Added text
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Eyesa Horg said:

When I sent them a thank you note, I asked them to consider running another batch. Wonder if what happened to mine was an actual issue for them.

The bottom corner of the claw wore to a rounded shape in mine. Took a season plus to be a real issue. Started with maybe once or twice a match with a failure to extract. Then I tried using annealed brass and only one or two out of ten would extract. That's when I called RPP. With the new claw zero issues. I couldn't see anything that the bottom corner was rubbing on to cause the wear. Plenty of clearance where it rides up the ramp to the chamber. Ellie's shows no wear whatsoever, but hasn't been shot as much as mine.

added: All my brass is StarLine 

Call them, they have some extractor claws.

2 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Call them, they have some extractor claws.

Yes, thank you, I know! That's how I got my replacement and bought a spare! They were fabulous to work with!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Yes, thank you, I know! That's how I got my replacement and bought a spare! They were fabulous to work with!

Agree, fun to talk with and excellent customer service/support.

Let's hear how the new spring and 'claw' work out.

Can you post a picture or two of the problem area you spoke of with the other 'claw'?

27 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Can you post a picture or two of the problem area you spoke of with the other 'claw'?

I will take look around for the old one, I likely kept it for God knows what reason! The new has worked flawless with the old long spring. Just ejects forward at about 1:30-2:00. Dummy rounds eject at a nice 3:00, no matter how aggressively levered. Emptied, not so much, but the end of the world either. Mine is a 45, Ellie's a 38. Hers ejects more to the side. Widder played with mine and tweaked the ejector a bit back when I first installed the RPP, but was still more forward than to the side. May just be the nature of my rifle! Still gotta get rid of last night's storm, but will see if I can find the worn claw and take a pic or 2.

1 hour ago, Warden Callaway said:

I put a Sure Claw extractor in my Marlin 1894c.  Solved the feed problems.  Note the cases fly straight out to right consistency. 

Do you have a source for this extractor? 

The places I ck'd, like Longhunter etc. were OOS.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Did my best! Silver claw is old, black is new. Noticed that whole gripping edge of the old claw is worn. The new has all sharp edges.

IMG_20240110_172046.thumb.jpg.d3731cd1eeb54498ec761556e6d9e57e.jpg

IMG_20240110_171833.thumb.jpg.da75a688c5c93a1ae641cfb66aad0603.jpg

IMG_20240110_172520.thumb.jpg.c2ebcca841f60b1464cfbb5ec5174ebc.jpg

IMG_20240110_172437.thumb.jpg.ae4d23d2df0ff5194787b2c1d31231ba.jpg

IMG_20240110_172609.thumb.jpg.c6f54d7fffb529f3638f8aab7f4e88b1.jpg

Edited by Eyesa Horg
  • Thanks 1

Just now, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Yup, see the spot.

Strange....:huh:

I thought so too! Ellie's still looks fine. Wonder if it just happened to be a tad soft. Approx. 3000 rounds thru it. Either way, I'm thrilled with the instant response from RPP.

• Like 1

Can't see anything that it would be hitting/rubbing on in the action.

• Like 1

I do suspect we hijacked this thread though. Sorry JHP.

• Haha 1