SASS Wire Forum

Past and Ongoing Field-Based Studies of Myxomycetes

Interesting stuff!

https://www.mdpi.com/2076-2607/11/9/2283

Open AccessReview

Past and Ongoing Field-Based Studies of Myxomycetes

Department of Biological Sciences, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, AR 72701, USA
Microorganisms 2023, 11(9), 2283; https://doi.org/10.3390/microorganisms11092283
Submission received: 23 August 2023 / Revised: 6 September 2023 / Accepted: 8 September 2023 / Published: 11 September 2023
(This article belongs to the Special Issue 10th Anniversary of Microorganisms: Past, Present and Future)

"Abstract

Evidence from molecular studies indicates that myxomycetes (also called myxogastrids or plasmodial slime molds) have a long evolutionary history, and the oldest known fossil is from the mid-Cretaceous. However, they were not “discovered” until 1654, when a brief description and a woodcut depicting what is almost certainly the common species Lycogala epidendrum was published. First thought to be fungi, myxomycetes were not universally recognized as completely distinct until well into the twentieth century. Biodiversity surveys for the group being carried out over several years are relatively recent, with what is apparently the first example being carried out in the 1930s. Beginning in the 1980s, a series of such surveys yielded large bodies of data on the occurrence and distribution of myxomycetes in terrestrial ecosystems. The most notable of these were the All Taxa Biodiversity Inventory (ATBI) project carried out in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, the Planetary Biodiversity Inventory Project (PBI) carried out in localities throughout the world, and the Myxotropic project being carried out throughout the Neotropics. The datasets available from both past and ongoing surveys now allow global and biogeographical patterns of myxomycetes to be assessed for the first time.
Keywords: 

biodiversity; biogeography; slime molds; surveys"

An external file that holds a picture, illustration, etc. Object name is microorganisms-11-02283-g001.jpg

Large fruiting body (aethalium) of the myxomycete Fuligo septica (Barbara Stephenson).

An external file that holds a picture, illustration, etc. Object name is microorganisms-11-02283-g003.jpg

Fossil Stemonitis in amber preserved from the mid-Cretaceous (Alexander Schmidt)

I got a headache just thinking about reading it:P:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

He thinks slime molds are cool and wanted to share.

He's deep man it's not always about guns and cowboy stuff.

You go SDJ!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Hey @Subdeacon Joe,

main-qimg-ec7cc638318d4fb827bbf16a212c7e9a.jpeg.jpg.6e9297c70f3e81c8165683d8c777634b.jpg

What was that?

I just thought it interesting.  Some of them can move and find food.  Not spread, but MOVE!  

“Myxomycetes can move and hunt for prey or look for the best environment for them. They are born from spores, like mushrooms. Myxomycetes move like huge amoebas, like pulsating masses: at 1cm per hour” -Ioannis Stivatktas

image.thumb.png.5ddd1d09d8ca2fad233adfee174d9750.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://appvoices.org/2019/10/11/slime-mold-intelligence/#:~:text=The pulsating slime mold can,new things about its environment.

The pulsating slime mold can reach speeds of up to 1.35 millimeters per second, making it the fastest microorganism recorded.

A 2012 study revealed that slime mold can solve mazes and appears to learn new things about its environment. When food is placed at the end, slime mold locates the food by exploring every part of the maze. The slime mold will find the shortest path to the food and retract all paths that don’t lead to these points, leaving behind a trail of slime that chemically signals a dead end, according to The Well, the news platform of the University of Chicago’s Marine Biological Laboratory.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Texas Joker said:

He thinks slime molds are cool and wanted to share.

He's deep man it's not always about guns and cowboy stuff.

You go SDJ!

LOL!  I just like envisioning people mentally trying to pronounce "Myxomycete!" :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

LOL!  I just like envisioning people mentally trying to pronounce "Myxomycete!" :D

I never even tried!:o:lol:

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Mix-oh-my-seat. Slimy musical chairs:D

“Hey honey , that slimy mold in the garage has moved 9 1/2” since yesterday! What the heck is that stuff? It almost looks like it’s heading towards the dog food bin…

I wonder what’ll happen if it gets to the dog food?”

IMG_5929.thumb.jpeg.194dead0039a682ed2c255edb7be6dcf.jpeg

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

Mix-oh-my-seat. Slimy musical chairs:D

“Hey honey , that slimy mold in the garage has moved 9 1/2” since yesterday! What the heck is that stuff? It almost looks like it’s heading towards the dog food bin…

I wonder what’ll happen if it gets to the dog food?”

IMG_5929.thumb.jpeg.194dead0039a682ed2c255edb7be6dcf.jpeg

https://phys.org/news/2022-01-virtual-slime-mold-subway-network.html

https://www.science.org/content/article/ride-slime-mold-express

• Thanks 1

ok , i can see the interest - to some , a little , but till it starts curing cancer im really not that interested , lets hear some great advances in science and medicine , 

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

That really interesting. I don’t see it being used in rail systems because they take so long to become a network, but space stations, planet habitats like a moon or Mars base. 

Thiugh I have encountered and worked for slimy characters in rail transit. But Physarum Polycephalum would be a step up in evolution compared to those dirtbags. :lol:

• Haha 1