SASS Wire Forum

Sporting Clays

Come On Christmas

Probably going to depend on the club.  Whether it is skeet, sporting clays or trap, there are going to be some that are real serious about the sport and will object to the black powder and some that will either not care or find it amusing.

I'd use them up at local SASS matches, I don't believe there is a rule that prevents you from shooting BP shotgun loads in a smokeless category.

Call the Sporting Clays Range and see. Some might see BP as a possible fire danger, depending on where their range is and how it’s set up. 

I tried sporting clays with BP. I loaded 65 grains of 2f Goex as my regular SASS loads. I found that the velocity wasn't anywhere near smokeless clay shotgun ammo. You had to really lead the bird.

I loaded the same amount with 3f triple 7 and it gave me the velocity to match smokeless loads.

I also asked the range if I could. I let he shooters in my group know. BP loads are a lot louder.

You can do it and it’s fun but I would definitely ask the rest of the folks on the line if they object. Some find the concussion and smoke to break their concentration :lol: and they’ll get huffy about it. Most will think it’s cool and start talking to you about it. 

Funny you should ask. Here's Buckshot Sheridan, EOT Deputy Range Master, shooting at Ben Avery last Tuesday. Expect a visit from one of the RSO's, they want to make sure you are not shooting magnum duck loads or something else forbidden. But after that it's just huge fun. Lots of folks stopping to watch too.

VideoCapture_20231222-183515.thumb.jpg.3461d8478717732f12e3d66f0d54d3a6.jpg

Don't forget, End of Trail has Cowboy Sporting Clays in both BP and Smokeless categories, Ladies too. Side Match Wednesday!

Check with the safety officer and your squad mates. Then be prepared for a lot of questions and curiosity from onlookers. 

I shot a few rounds of skeet with an antique s/s and some mild BP loads. Everybody had a good time and a few even shot a target or two. 

And as mentioned, dramatically increase your lead. 

Archived