SASS Wire Forum

Hodgdon Perfect Pattern for shot shell test data

Toranado, SASS # 58447

As I start to run out of my favorite Shotshell powder Clays, and refuse to pay the $40plus price per pound for Claydot where available, I did some searching a few months ago and bought some Hodgdon Perfect Pattern powder as it had some loads listed that may make it a good alternative for cowboy shotgun powder.   PLUS IT SELLS FOR ABOUT $27 PER POUND if you buy 8# from like powdervalley, but I also just picked up another 8#er at Sportsman's Warehouse for about the same price.

I asked my good friend and club TG, Turkey Bob to do some test loads as I drove off to sunny Arizona and left him back here in Chicago! (just trying to keep him busy in that midwestern cold weather!! LOL).    Well he did a pretty comprehensive testing data along with chronographing all the loads.

The results are posted below, and the conclusion is, it makes a really good cowboy round for shot shells. I've included my usual loads for comparison along with some factory rounds testing he did.  I'll probably when I start loading it use the load that gets just over 900 fps, (13a) but enjoy the data and hope it helps.   It's a very fine powder so uses some small bushings, but the rounds knocked down our toughest shotgun targets during testing also.

Screenshot2023-12-22at6_53_46PM.thumb.png.cfba8c86cebf87e822ab54ba95f6c68e.pngpowder.thumb.jpg.e53dfa9441f7152997a49f1af0eb3904.jpg

I don’t have any chronograph data but I’ve been using Perfect Pattern for a few matches. I’m using Remington STS hulls, 7/8 oz grey Claybuster wads, 1 oz shot, 11 gr Perfect Pattern powder and a 209 Cheddite primer.. It takes down the knockdowns and I’ve had 2 cowboys try it and they though it kicked less than Winchester AA Featherlites. 

So far I like it as well as my Claydot loads.

Randy

I've been using Perfect Pattern for cowboy 12 gauge loads, too.

I like a little recoil, so I'm running the STS hull, Winchester or Nobel 209 primer, 14.5 grains Perfect Pattern, CB 0178-12 (gray) wad and 7/8 ounce shot.   Don't feel a need to go lighter, and I get perfect crimps.

good luck, GJ

3 hours ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

So far I like it as well as my Clay Dot loads.

Me too.

11 minutes ago, Medicine Creek Johnny said:

Hey GW Highgun is the same as Titegroup

Thanks,  rechecked.   I got wrong info.    MCJ is right        Damn that was hard to say         GW

1 minute ago, G W Wade said:

Thanks,  rechecked.   I got wrong info.    MCJ is right        Damn that was hard to say         GW

Don’t ya just hate it when that happens

Archived