SASS Wire Forum

Unique available at Mid south

Needle-Nose-Tom

I was happy to replenish my stock of Unique. I use it a lot. 45-70. 45-60. 38-55, 30-40 Krag, 7.5x55 Swiss, 44 mag, 44-40, could use it in 12G & 38sp. It’s a very versatile powder! May not be the best for any one thing, but can be used for almost anything. I Was down to about 2lbs. Yes the price is higher than pre-covid/pre-Biden/pre-Ukraine but it is what it is. 

I got 16lbs, which should last me 3-4 years or so. Came to 45/lb with shipping & hazmat. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Hoss said:

I was happy to replenish my stock of Unique. I use it a lot. 45-70. 45-60. 38-55, 30-40 Krag, 7.5x55 Swiss, 44 mag, 44-40, could use it in 12G & 38sp. It’s a very versatile powder! May not be the best for any one thing, but can be used for almost anything. I Was down to about 2lbs. Yes the price is higher than pre-covid/pre-Biden/pre-Ukraine but it is what it is. 

I got 16lbs, which should last me 3-4 years or so. Came to 45/lb with shipping & hazmat. 

Now I know where to go to borrow some. LOL

TM

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Hoss said:

Good to load up I expect the prices to keep going up.

Best Wishes and a MERRY XMAS 

• 2 months later...

I have been looking for load data for Unique and can find none.  In my Lyman load manual, no mention of Unique any where's.  Suggestions welcomed.   

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Hawk Eyes Hudson said:

I have been looking for load data for Unique and can find none.  In my Lyman load manual, no mention of Unique any where's.  Suggestions welcomed.   

What calibers/gauges are you wanting data for?  I have manuals I can photograph pages for you.

• Like 1

Just about the most commonly covered powder for handgun reloading.   Must be looking at the wrong manuals or under cartridges not well suited to a medium burn rate handgun powder.

Unique is distributed by Alliant.  If you are looking at the Hodgdon's loading data site or pamphlets, good luck.   GJ

Edited by Garrison Joe, SASS #60708
  • Like 2

The last time I looked at Alliant's data for Unique it was pretty hot for CAS.  But like Jack Spade said, some of us have books with CAS-friendly data - I know I do, and would be happy to share if you tell us what you are loading.

On 2/25/2024 at 6:31 PM, Hawk Eyes Hudson said:

There are probably more loads published for Unique than any other smokeless powder.  It was introduced before WWI giving us decades of load development.  Go to alliantpowder.com.  Select the products tab then select handgun.   Select Unique and then select view all Unique recipes.

I load 357 mag and 44 mag with Unique and also some rifle gallery loads.  In a pinch it is good for shotgun shells and any handgun cartridge I shoot (excluding rimfire of course) 

Edited by Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971

Just Missed it.  They are out now.  Set up notification on website.

Thanks

Powder Valley shows 1-lb jars of Unique in stock.  Keep in mind that Vista Outdoors warned that Alliant- branded powders will be scarce this year.