SASS Wire Forum

Baseball pitch question

Trailrider #896

When I was a kid, the only pitches I ever heard of were "fastball", "curveball" and "changeup" or "change-of-pace". My grandfather, who played semi-pro baseball in the Three-I League, as a catcher, as a young man (long before I was born), used to talk about three types of curveballs..."in-curve", "out-curve", and a "drop".  Where do "sliders", "splitters", and some others come in?

18 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

When I was a kid, the only pitches I ever heard of were "fastball", "curveball" and "changeup" or "change-of-pace". My grandfather, who played semi-pro baseball in the Three-I League, as a catcher, as a young man (long before I was born), used to talk about three types of curveballs..."in-curve", "out-curve", and a "drop".  Where do "sliders", "splitters", and some others come in?

I looked this up because I was a little confused myself……

https://baseballcoachinglab.com/baseball-pitches/

When I was a kid an old family friend that was in his 90's kept telling me the greatest pitch of all time was the Christy Mathewson Fadeaway.  Years later I was watching an old baseball movie biography of someone and they mentioned the Christy Mathewson Fadeaway.

I found this little squib on it -

For a time, Mathewson’s fadeaway was the most well-known pitch in baseball. Its seemingly gravity-defying bends dazzled players and fans alike. Outfielder Red Murray was the hurler’s teammate for seven seasons with the Giants and had a bird’s eye view of the twirler’s magical ways. In 1934, nearly 20 years after they last played together, he recalled to The Brooklyn Daily Eaglewhat he knew about Matty and his screwball:

“Christy Mathewson was a teammate of mind for many years on the Giants. He perfected and was the only man ever to master the fadeaway ball. This ball was a fast curve that arched out on a left=handed batter and in on a right-handed batter. It was not used much by him, only in difficult places, as it was very hard to pitch and was hard on the wrist.”

The first video is an explanation of the cutter and Mariano Rivera's use of it.  The second video is Mariano Rivera using his cutter to break a hitter's bat

"Slurve" is the nastiest pitch out there right now.  It's a combination between a slider and a curve, and moves two directions.  When done correctly, the movements are sequential.  In other words, it slides to the side and then drops.  

Archived