SASS Wire Forum

Stroller to gun cart conversion

Mister Badly

I thought some new shooters might like to see a budget alternative to those high dollar gun carts. This is a Baby Trend Expedition stroller I picked up on marketplace for $25. The only modification to the cart I did was to flip the rear axle to point the weird hump forward. I would just notch the box if I was to do it again. The upper and lower gun supports are held in place with cable ties which can be cut to allow the cart to be folded. 

IMG_20230417_203618771_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230417_203524728_HDR.jpg

The hump on the back of the butt holder is for a double barrel so the action can be open. I shoot 97s so I didn't need it. The box itself could be modified at the rear for you coach guns shooters. Or use a chamber flag. I made one out of 2 dummy rounds and a piece of plastic. 

Nice engineering @Mister Badly.  From what I can see, it looks like the bottom box would probably sit just fine without the zip ties, at least while it's in use.  If the zip ties on top were replaced with Velcro straps you could take it apart for transport without cutting (wasting) zip ties.

Great job.

1 hour ago, Mister Badly said:

Or use a chamber flag. I made one out of 2 dummy rounds and a piece of plastic. 

I'd double check with the SASS Club you're attending, don't think we can use chamber flags...

Other than that nice job. 

2 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

I'd double check with the SASS Club you're attending, don't think we can use chamber flags...

Other than that nice job. 

That may be true but it proves the action is open. Any clarification is certainly welcome.

1 minute ago, Mister Badly said:

My new favorite cart for summer matches is the new improved fan wagon. 

IMG_20230725_163538258_HDR~2.jpg

Hmmm, you should put a little motor in there...

Bringing that tomorrow?

7 minutes ago, Mister Badly said:

That may be true but it proves the action is open. Any clarification is certainly welcome.

Shooters handbook, pg 17.

"Long guns shall have their actions open with chambers and magazines empty and 
muzzles pointed in a safe direction when transported at a match."

Technically, chamber flag wouldn't be an empty chamber. 

1 minute ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Chamber flag wouldn't be an empty chamber. 

Then kicking the back side of the bottom mount a bit rearward would be required. Maybe a 45 degree rearward angle would help too.

9 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Chamber flag wouldn't be an empty chamber. 

Not a common sense approach to that rule. 

For our purposes Empty means no live or spent ammo present.  A chamber flag is an extra step that allows the confirmation of an empty chamber to be made at a glance, or from a greater distance.  To argue that it renders the chamber no longer empty is straying far afield of the spirit of the rule.....in my opinion.

On 8/4/2023 at 8:51 AM, Mister Badly said:

Yes I am.

@Slippery Stew has an INCREDIBLE gun cart with a motor - 4 shooters shoot off of the same cart!  Its awesome.

Also, for those of you who might need it - I am a Rugged Gear dealer - they make mounts and parts for ATVs etc.  I can help you get gun rests etc. if you find you need it.  Offered in good faith - not trying to make a buck.  There are some very clever carts out there!

Hugs!

Scarlett

6 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

@Slippery Stew has an INCREDIBLE gun cart with a motor - 4 shooters shoot off of the same cart!  Its awesome.

Also, for those of you who might need it - I am a Rugged Gear dealer - they make mounts and parts for ATVs etc.  I can help you get gun rests etc. if you find you need it.  Offered in good faith - not trying to make a buck.  There are some very clever carts out there!

Hugs!

Scarlett

That is a cool cart! Drawers for extra and important stuff like some nice ceegars!

How many degrees can long guns be off true vertical?  I’m liking the creativity here (plus these jogging strollers have nice wheels).

On 8/6/2023 at 1:58 AM, Just Bill SASS# 16394 said:

I just finished this cart. I made it to travel the farther locations.

The revolvers would not stay in the cart when folded. I did that only for the photo.

gun cart.jpg

This one inspires me.

I have been looking at mine for months, I now think I just need to remove every bit of the cloth and start from just the frame.

For the tires, have you hot-glued the valve stem caps into casings yet?

i like the ingenuity of both , ive used golf bag carts for both of mine but im still making adaptations to one of them , im also looking for lighter/more compact unit that packs well for travel , i see somer good ideas here 

7 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

This one inspires me.

I have been looking at mine for months, I now think I just need to remove every bit of the cloth and start from just the frame.

For the tires, have you hot-glued the valve stem caps into casings yet?

For the tires I used a 1/4th to 1/2 a bottle of tire slime then inflated the tires. That should prevent any flat tires.

It is my understanding that “when transported at a match” applies not only to long guns carried by hand but also to guns in a moving cart.

I consider a stationary cart to be like a gun rack.  It’s not moving so the guns are not being transported.

There was a discussion a while back in which a shooter proposed to have the shotgun closed in the cart with a long dowel inserted as a chamber flag.  I don’t recall the outcome but it seems like the issue was not the application of the “empty” requirement but that the action was closed.

Archived