SASS Wire Forum

How to tell if an old soldered cup is lead-free?

First, the back story…

My Grandpa served in WWII leading the aircraft power plant division at Wright Field, OH. He always said his contribution to the war effort was being on the team that developed the B-29’s supercharger which allowed the bomber to reach Japan.  

Once a month on a Friday he’d buy a keg of beer for his team.  One Friday his foreman brought each man a mug made out of scrap copper he’d salvaged. Copper was like gold in those days so you can imagine the excitement.

Grandpa went on to a career at Jet Propulsion Laboratory at Edwards AFB to work on the X-series including the XB-70 and X-15.

The copper cup got passed to my dad and in our last visit he passed it to me.

I will not use it regularly, but I’d be more comfortable sipping from it if I knew the solder wasn’t lead.  Does anyone know how to tell if it is?  Is there a test kit/swab I can buy?

IMG_0025.jpeg

Hold a pencil soldering iron to a lump in the solder.  It will melt if it is lead.  If you keep it polished and don't use it often you should be fine even if it is lead.  I occasionally use an antique pewter (contains lead) mug that has been handed down for generations.  I just keep it polished.

6 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Is the base soldered on? Or just the handle?

The base is soldered also.

4 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Hold a pencil soldering iron to a lump in the solder.  It will melt if it is lead.  If you keep it polished and don't use it often you should be fine even if it is lead.  I occasionally use an antique pewter (contains lead) mug that has been handed down for generations.  I just keep it polished.

What difference does keeping it polished make?  Is it a lead oxide that’s toxic?

3 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

The base is soldered also.

What difference does keeping it polished make?  Is it a lead oxide that’s toxic?

Family legend, but I believe it is the oxide.  I was told the same on aluminum.  I don't use the mug often, but have owned it for more than 50 years.

Another thing is to not put acids in the cup, acidic drinks will dissolve lead. This is (partly, maybe) what did in the Roman empire:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/07/did-lead-poisoning-cause-downfall-of-roman-empire-the-jury-is-still-out/

As to a test kit, did find this with a quick lookup. Read more to be sure it will work on your cup:

https://www.amazon.com/Testing-Surfaces-Ceramics-High-Sensitive-Non-Toxic/dp/B08PSR37JM

For a home-brew test, you will need to find the chemical but there is much good information in this article:

http://www.home-health-chemistry.com/Lead-Detection.html

That cup could be silver soldered but silver solder does contain some lead. 

@John Kloehrmentioned acidic drinks. The same goes for copper. 
https://moscowcopper.com/blogs/the-mule-blog/drinking-from-copper-cups-and-mugs-for-health

Depending on how old you are and how much you intend to drink from it it probably doesn’t mater much, my grand parents farm has been running off a lead water pipe for more than 70 years and no one has gotten lead poisoning yet

All solder prior to about 1986 is lead bearing. Not an issue if you don't let your drinks get warm. Good turnover is important! Drink faster! Lol

Our local health department will test dishes for lead.  You might call them;  worst they can say is "no".

Otherwise, the cup looks like a place to keep pocket change.

Beer / Ale ain't going to be a problem.  More lead from any indoor range session.  Drinking out of a family treasure isn't living dangerously.  The basis of the original lead study would fit with current health info, hand and a glove.

Archived