SASS Wire Forum

Your Thoughts

Subdeacon Joe

IT IS NOT A PROPER USE and as much as I salute the owner's intensions I cannot support defiling the flag that say any more than I support people wearing the flag as clothing, poorly run flags on vehicles, or displaying it incorrectly anywhere.

If you aren't sure how to display a flag go to a military recruiting office, any veterans organization, or the Boy Scouts.  Any of them have someone who can guide you in the right direction.

It is so wrong. Maybe the captain of that little sloop should be keel hauled. Maybe he'd know better next time.

I blame Hollywood.

Dances With wolves. The soldier found a wounded Indian (possibly stands with a fist, but it's been a long time so I'm not sure) and bandages the Indian using the flag. The soldier was wearing a nice pair of blue pants, a nice blue coat, and a nice white shirt. He had all sorts of cloth to make bandages with. He used the flag.

In Bronco Billy, Billy had a traveling wild West show, and their tent was burned up. He had a friend who made flags, and the friend made him a new tent. Not using his red material or his white material or his blue material. He took already made flags out of stock and sewed them together to make a circus tent. Wrong.

If it began life as a flag, I don’t think it’s proper. The FLAG should be displayed properly or not at all!!

If it was made as a sail or a shirt or a vest, then I’m more than good with it!

I often wear a bandanna with the American flag pattern printed on it!  I also once ran a race car with the flag pattern painted on it!  If someone takes exception to it, THAT’S THEIR PROBLEM!

Add another plus to what my buddy, Widder, said!! :FlagAm:

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

IT IS NOT A PROPER USE and as much as I salute the owner's intensions I cannot support defiling the flag that say any more than I support people wearing the flag as clothing, poorly run flags on vehicles, or displaying it incorrectly anywhere.

If you aren't sure how to display a flag go to a military recruiting office, any veterans organization, or the Boy Scouts.  Any of them have someone who can guide you in the right direction.

Without desiring to cast insult or start an argument.

Unless it was flown, saluted and displayed as a flag - it's not a flag - it is only a piece of cloth with a red, white and blue pattern on it.

The FLAG has certain guidelines - but those guidelines do not bar another piece of cloth with the same pattern from being used in any context.

And even if it were a FLAG - the principles that the FLAG stand for are not so fragile that the treatment of a piece of cloth (any piece of cloth) may harm them.

Yes, men have fought and died for that flag - but I assert it was not the piece of cloth; but the principles that flag represents and it is those very sacrifices that allow that person to display or utilize that piece of cloth in any way they choose.

I stand hand over heart at the pledge or National Anthem - I even have been known to tear up at Taps or at the sight of row after row of white monuments in a veterans cemetery.

But I understand why the Flag exists, why we play Taps or the Star Spangled Banner - it is to remind people of the foundations, of the sacrifices, of the elemental soul of the country we are blessed to live in - to unite people in a love of something greater than their individual self.

But while they are representations; that piece of cloth, bugle call or song are NOT the foundations; the sacrifices or the soul of our nation - and the disrespect, destruction or kneeling for same does not destroy the reason they exist.

Elevating the pomp, circumstance and symbols above their meanings; assigning more value to a ritual than the underlying ideal is contrary to the country that I love and live in.

It's what the Flag symbolizes that is important, not the fabric it is made of.

Archived