SASS Wire Forum

12ga Magtech brass with plastic wads?

Tyrel Cody

I do.... 

I load a Square load. 

X amount of BP 

11 Ga. Over powder Card

12 gauge wad with a 1 - 1 1/8 ounce shot cup (Winchester Style-WAA12SL are the last ones I used I believe)

Then 11 Ga shot Card... Glued in with Elmer's Glue

Mine are about like Major Art Tillery's.  60gr of BP (4.3cc dipper), 11ga Nirtro card .125", Red wad, 1 to 1 1/8 oz shot, 11ga overshot card glued in with Wood Glue or whatever.  The wad is loose in the hull so the nitro card makes the seal.  These pattern better in my guns (Baikal and TTN) than fiber wads, and the bores clean out super easy.

1 minute ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

The wad is loose in the hull so the nitro card makes the seal.  

That's kinda what I was curious about right there. I've a bunch of brass hulls and don't really want to mess with fiber wads. Used to cleaning up plastic wads anyway, super easy...

Thanks to both of you! 

23 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Mine are about like Major Art Tillery's.  60gr of BP (4.3cc dipper), 11ga Nirtro card .125", Red wad, 1 to 1 1/8 oz shot, 11ga overshot card glued in with Wood Glue or whatever.  The wad is loose in the hull so the nitro card makes the seal.  These pattern better in my guns (Baikal and TTN) than fiber wads, and the bores clean out super easy.

With the fiber wads ... My shot pattern was about like a donut!  :lol:.

I have shot brass 12 ga BP loads that Major loaded with the details he listed. They were/are a HOOT! Tons of smoke, fire, manageable recoil (but I'm nowhere close to recoil sensative) the style points are abundant, not to mention these mow down knockdown targets with ease (if you can see it happen...) Love these things! 

:D

Howdy Tyrell,

Sort of on point.  Remembering I load with APP.  I've loaded with two different wad.  I get them both form Ballistic Products.  Currently I'm using 12Ga BP "Spitfire" plastic wads for a 1 ounce pay load.  No overpower card.  Just powder, Wad, Shot and TWO over shot cards with NO Glue.  Unless you drop one on concrete, they stay together in the Kart and my Shotgun Belt just fine.  The other wad I have/use is a 10Ga wad from Ballistic Products but I got tired of having to cut the petals for a 1 ounce pay load.  Didn't use over powder nor glue on those either.

My patterns with fiber wads had a huge hole in the pattern.  Very annoying.  You will find, with a CAS level powder charge, a straight plastic wad and over shot cards, a lot of unfilled space in the MagTech hull.  No big deal.  Also, even with plastic wads, clean-up is a Breeze.  I just squirt the bores with PAM and let 'em set while I wrap the brush with paper towels and soak that with PAM and the bores come shiny clean with about 5 or 6 pumps of the brush.  Burma Shave

PS:  I had a problem with fail to fire when I was seating primers by pressing on a flat plate.  Didn't necessarily seat fully in the pocket.  I wound up investing in a press to seat primers.  Now 100% BANG!!

PSS:  I forgot to include, add or mention I also use the larger "over shot" cards and seat them with a 3/4 inch dowel.  Stay put just fine. 

I tried plastic wads when I first started using the Magtechs.   Results were spotty at best.  I think too much gas was leaking around the wad or something, leading to a lot of almost squib like results.   That problem went away when I switched to the traditional fiber wads.

On the other hand, the plastic wads seems to work just fine in the RMC all brass cases.

But I shoot smokeless.

21 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

I tried plastic wads when I first started using the Magtechs.   Results were spotty at best.  I think too much gas was leaking around the wad or something, leading to a lot of almost squib like results.   That problem went away when I switched to the traditional fiber wads.

On the other hand, the plastic wads seems to work just fine in the RMC all brass cases.

But I shoot smokeless.

I am the same as the rest except I use a 10 over powder card, holds better

I use a 10 gauge wad which provides a nice snug fit and a 1 1/8 load over 2f Swiss.   I use a fiber packing ‘peanut’ I get from local U-haul store to fill-up the remaining space in 10 gauge shot cup then overshot card and some water glass to seal/hold everything together.  

I tried various ‘wad column heights’ with fiber wads and never managed to obtain decent patterns-lots of doughnuts, even with squared, or lighter loads.  10 gauge wads solved the problem.  

Archived