SASS Wire Forum

Turning Copper Green

Yul Lose

Do any of you have experience turning copper wire green? I’m building a box and the person wants a copper wire wrap on the lid lift and wants the copper to have an antiqued green patina. New territory for me, thanks for your help.

White vinegar and salt. Not sure of the percentages.

1 minute ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

White vinegar and salt. Not sure of the percentages.

I tried some various mixtures of that and it was more gray than green.

16 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

Do any of you have experience turning copper wire green? I’m building a box and the person wants a copper wire wrap on the lid lift and wants the copper to have an antiqued green patina. New territory for me, thanks for your help.

What BW mentioned above works fine, professionals add a little ammonium chloride to the mix to get a really nice green verdigris patina. Ammonium chloride is cheap and you can buy a small bottle from an pet store that stocks tropical fish (aquarists use it).

I've used the above to age parts when I'm restoring steam engines. Plain seawater (if you live near the ocean) is the best....it's a lot slower but the most beautiful natural looking green verdigris is achieved by just using sea water. 

9 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

What BW mentioned above works fine, professionals add a little ammonium chloride to the mix to get a really nice green verdigris patina. Ammonium chloride is cheap and you can buy a small bottle from an pet store that stocks tropical fish (aquarists use it).

I've used the above to age parts when I'm restoring steam engines. Plain seawater (if you live near the ocean) is the best....it's a lot slower but the most beautiful natural looking green verdigris is achieved by just using sea water. 

Hey Yul, 

Do you know of any sources of plain seawater near you?  :D

An excellent book, Metal Techniques for Craftsmen by Oppi Untracht has this for Antique Green on copper or brass.

Copper Nitrate 4 oz.

Calcium Carbonate 4 oz.

Ammonium Chloride 4 oz.

Water 1 Gallon

Clean the item thoroughly.  Warm the water and the item.  Stipple on with a sponge.  Immerse clean in boiling water when desired color is reached.

4 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Hey Yul, 

Do you know of any sources of plain seawater near you?  :D

Yeah but I’d have to fight the traffic over to the coast.

I have used all of the above listed tricks on copper and they all work to some extent but the won’t last long if handled at all because the finish is very thin not like copper that has aged for 10 years, I find I have to coat the final project with a clear spray poly if it’s going to be handled. One other trick I found which looks great is to heat the copper gently until it turns multi colored and then do your Verdi treatment, the colors on the copper each take on a different hue and adds depth like it would naturally over time, it’s a good idea to practice on a bunch of scrap first because it’s really a crap shoot as to what you get for results 

Archived