SASS Wire Forum

Hostoric emporium holster

Nate6446

Howdy Nate.  Looking at the stuff on historicalemporium.com, yes their buscadero holsters would be sass legal for most categories (not Classic Cowboy).  Looks like cheap Mexican made leather.  But heck, that's what I started with way back when.  The crossdraw holster they sell is not legal in my opinion, as it must depart from vertical no more than 30 degrees as worn.  The picture on the website looks like it is close to 40 degree.  The picture you posted doesn't show it from straight ahead, so harder to tell.  If you are on a budget, there are lots of sets of used leather sold on the Classifieds here that are higher quality.

In any category except  Gunfighter & Classic Cowboy/girl.  Required in B-Western.  But grip on X-Draw must be below the top of the belt.

SASS 2023 Shooter's Handbook, refer to page 8, the only two mentions of Buscadero in the rules. 

Is this rig legal?  Yes. 

For everthing except Gunfighter (no crossdraw), Classic cowboy (no buscadero) and B western (crossdraw holster not below belt).

Is crossdraw a good idea for a new shooter?  Depends on their experience and training.

Is THIS a good choice for leather?

Likely not.  It looks to be cheap Mexican leather and if that holds true to form - it will fold up, collapse and not hold your pistols securely over time.

Check your local clubs for cast off or outgrown leather. 

Check if you have any leathermakers in your clubs.

Check out the clasifieds here on the Wire.

Bad leather will ruin your experience in a hurry.  Quality leather "may" cost more - but it is a one time pain.  Cheap leather will hurt you twice - when you buy it AND when you replace it.

ill second longhunters sentiments here , as someone thats owned dozens of holsters and a handful of belts , dont but cheap - buy smart , know what works and suites your needs by asking-borrowing-trying before you invest , 

i currently have three sets of leather - on double strong side 45 and one cross draw 45 , as well as a double strong side 38 with an extra cross draw holster , if i were to do this again id have the needed holsters for both configurations in both calibers with one nicely fit belt -- you only wear one at a time , set it up and shoot , change it if you want , but buy quality gear in all of what you do l, otherwise you spend the same or more and have less 

12 hours ago, Nate6446 said:

Thank you guys for the input. I think i might just get a rig from mernickle and bite the leather once  

You will not regret that decision. Money well spent on durn good cowboy gun leather.

you don't say where you are located

our club has a leather worker that brings complete rigs to the range for new shooters.  he probably can outfit a half-dozen with all his gear

might want to make a match or two and see if they have 'loaners' to try out

Archived