SASS Wire Forum

In Duke’s opinion….

Utah Bob #35998

I agree with him. 

Stagecoach is basically flawless. Red River is great, but marred by the ending, where Wayne's crazed monomania is resolved with just a fistfight and a handshake.

The Searchers has lots of great stuff, but it's constantly being rated as one of the best of all time, which is over the top. For one thing, it's got way too much of the 'stage business' of the era: the half-wit sidekick, the moronic suitor, the you-betcha settler, etc.

Lots to discuss there, though....

You could probably list his best half dozen or so movies and what difference does it make determining which is best. There are objective points to make about each one but there is still a lot of subjectivity involved. We all have our favorites and there's plenty to choose from. Still enjoy watching them.

I have a lot of movies I rotate through during the year. Mostly more modern action type movies. When I can't  pick one to watch that night I'll out on one of my westerns. Another one I love is Ride the High Country. Joel McCrae and Randolph Scott were at the end of their careers but just hearing their voices was a treat.

Archived