SASS Wire Forum

Either one of hell of a pilot or really lucky

Chantry

I'd say he's one damn good chopper jockey.  I knew one like that in 1974-76.  His helicopter didn't move much, but he was moving everything in that cockpit.

Looked like he had six hands and was swatting hornets with all of them while tap dancing.

That was not a standard move in any training manual!  

What they were trying was tricky, even if they’d been in a Blackhawk. The Huey is a sluggish aircraft under any circumstance, exactly what wasn’t needed here.  The pilot was landing into the wind on a small LZ which sat on a mountain ridge line with a sharp drop on the leeward side.  A perfect storm of challenges.

My guess is he hit a downward swirl as he got close to the ridge.  The tail rotor lost effectiveness (LTE) in the swirl, which caused the rapid yaw right.  

The emergency procedure for LTE is to fly forward until the fuselage regains stability and smooth air is again flowing over the tail rotor.  In this case, the pilot’s reaction to fly “forward” caused the nose to hit the ground with the resulting pirouette.  At this point they were damn lucky the rotor disc was over the cliff’s edge and not striking the ground.

After the pirouette, the aircraft went over the cliff and into clean airspace as it fell slightly. The pilot regained a level attitude, backed away from the rocks, then flew away to change underwear.

All in all, except for the luck of having the rotor disc go where it did and not contact Mother Earth,I give complete credit to the pilot for maintaining control in a very bad situation and saving the day.

Archived