SASS Wire Forum

Old planes

Forty  Rod SASS 3935

just went out to unlock my gate and a truly spectacular Lockheed Electra passed over going northeast to Prescott's Love Field.   It was reflecting the sun behind it and looked to be polished raw aluminum.

I've always lived near airport and love planes, though I've never been a pilot.  This area has lots and lots of old planes and old cars and trucks and farm equipment, and mining gear, and some amazingly preserved homes.  Mostly dry climate and mild winters allow these things to survive and thrive....and it's a bunch of fun to see some of these.  

There's a Beech 17 Stagger Wing, one of my favorite planes, that visits often (and may well live here) and I've seen dozens of other old time air planes, form Pipers, to twin engine Cessna prop planes similar to the Electra, a Waco (I think), and others.

For over 35 years I lived five miles north of the Chino Airport in California, home of both Planes of fame, and Yanks.  I spent  whole batch of weekend at one or the other of those just walking around and looking.  I watched the last flying wing being restored over the years and was saddened when they finally got it flying again only to crash, totally destroying the plane and killing the pilot.

We have old cars here. too.  I've seen stuff that most people have never seen and some that they haven't heard of.  While driving around looking at homes before we bought one we saw a pair of 1963 red XKE Jags, a coupe and a convertible, a "bulb nose" Crosley, and Allstate, a half dozen MG TDs and one TC, an Austin Healy 100-6 (which I'd love to own), MGAs and Sprites and TR 3,4, and 5 roadsters, old Studebakers and DeSotos and a LaSalle....and other dreams of my past.

Guess I'm gettin carried away so it's time for breakfast. 

I share your feelings for the old birds @Forty Rod SASS 3935. Former ISAF crash/fire rescue man, I spent four years sleeping next to a flight line (I can still pick out a C130 above background noise). We live on (under? :P ) one of the approaches to Missoula airport which is frequently dedicated to fire crews. Fire helicopter with a Bambi-bucket was flying over all day yesterday. Recently we had a B17 and a B24 visiting which would fly over every hour or so. Sounded great!  Miss Montana, a restored C47, flys out of here as well so she’ll make weekend appearances on occasion. 

C87A8603-2D4A-4646-A244-EEDFDA8676A0.jpeg

I have an interest in old military aircraft, especially the ones that were "obsolete" at the beginning of WWII that not only made major contributions to the war effort, but remained in front line service until after the war ended.

I hate flying, but I was fortunate enough to get a 20 minute flight in a Ford Tri-Motor.  A little loud, but actually more comfortable than flying coach in a modern jet liner.

Where we shoot at Wartrace, TN, is very near the airport where Beechcraft has a fly-in every October.  

Before we moved the Tennessee State SASS Championship to June, it usually happened that same weekend in October and it was an added extra attraction during the shoot.

Click on the link below for a cool interior shot of an Electra, made up like Amelia's.  :)

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/air-space-magazine/lockheed-electra-10e-180961944/

In the early '70s there were two immaculate Lockheed Lodestars being used as executive transports in Nashville. I thought that they were the  nearest airplanes that I ever  saw.

Two days in a row.  Today it was one I've seen a lot, but's still a neat little plane: a Beechcraft V-tail Bonanza that lives at Love Field.  It could be there are two of them there, but I'm not sure.

Having Embry Riddle Aeronautics University almost in my back yard doesn't hurt.  They get a lot of visitors who fly their own birds.

Archived