SASS Wire Forum

Make my new vaqueros birdheads....

Black RZR

So I heard I can convert my new vaqueros to birdheads by just changing out grips and frame. Same springs same hammers no internal mods... this true?

Well dang I guess I'll just have to buy a new pair guns with birdheads ready on them......

7 hours ago, Black RZR said:

So I heard I can convert my new vaqueros to birdheads by just changing out grips and frame. Same springs same hammers no internal mods... this true?

Yes,  I just did it. It's not that difficult,  just a couple of files. a vice with soft jaws and a little time. It was a time consuming project.  With filing and fitting them filing and fitting and me having so little available free time it took me about a week to do the pair. If you could sit and do it in a single setting, being a novice at it like me, I'd say you could fit a pair in a solid day maybe a little longer. I then made my own zebrawood grips for them. Midway usually has the factory grip frames in stock. 20220430_181905.thumb.jpg.07f77ac3585de710af28a1850d3c4396.jpg20220505_221931.thumb.jpg.3dfec17355334b75fc46766062ca373c.jpg20220518_173619.thumb.jpg.45a5ff430d66bc944592c5a1531327ba.jpg

JEL

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Black RZR said:

Well dang I guess I'll just have to buy a new pair guns with birdheads ready on them......

That's what I did.

Much more satisfying.

I converted mine with a Brownells stainless birds head grip and there was a little fitting, but nothing too bad. I did it in one afternoon.

You should give it a shot, Its a lot cheaper Pard!

11 hours ago, Black RZR said:

You say that like it's a bad thing. :lol:

5 hours ago, Hendo said:

You say that like it's a bad thing. :lol:

Trouble is finding them. 

I've been wanting a set of the Ruger Talo 3.5" vaqueros in 357 for 2 years. Can't find them anywhere. 

JEL

Posted (edited)

These are a little different - .45 acp, but also work fine with C45S too. I came across one pair three years ago for $805, new-in-box, and consecutively numbered. After confirming the price was for both and not just one, I jumped on them. I had to have an identical backup, so a third one joined them last year, then six weeks later, a local pard pointed one out to me on guntrader.com, new-in-box, at a great price only six miles away from me, so now I have four. Then I decided they all needed new shoes, so... :)

BirdsheadGripsX4.thumb.jpg.9afc650c078e098c1a156b965af516dd.jpg

Edited by Three Foot Johnson
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

These are a little different - .45 acp, but also work fine with C45S too. I came across one pair three years ago for $805, new-in-box. After confirming the price was for both and not just one, I jumped on them. I had to have an identical backup, so a third one joined them last year, then another pard pointed out one to me on guntrader.com, new-in-box, at a great price only six miles away from me, so now I have four. Then I decided they all needed new shoes, so... :)

BirdsheadGripsX4.thumb.jpg.9afc650c078e098c1a156b965af516dd.jpg

Sweet golly once again I have a case of gun envy. 

• Haha 1