SASS Wire Forum

The Aussie Humour Thread

Buckshot Bear

1947 Golden Circle cannery opens.
By the mid-1940s, the pineapple industry was well-established in Queensland.
To provide marketing and financial stability, a cooperative was formed to finance the building of a cannery.
Golden Circle Cannery was opened at Northgate in 1947. The company was originally called Queensland Tropical Fruit Products, using “Golden Circle” as a brand name.
Over 900 growers originally bought shares in the cooperative.
Excess fruit produced at any time of the year could be canned, evening out fluctuations in production and demand and providing stability for the industry.
The Queensland Government was so enthusiastic about the new enterprise that it sent the future Queen Elizabeth 500 cases of canned pineapple to celebrate the occasion of her marriage in London.
Golden Circle’s first products were canned pineapple and jams. In 1948 the company began to produce canned paw paw, pineapple jelly, citrus cordials and tropical fruit salad. In the 1950s pineapple juice and other fruit juices were introduced, with canned beetroot marketed nationally from the 1960s. And, of course, it was important to keep in shape, so you could enjoy dieting with the unsweetened “Dietetic” products.
Advertising for the brand consistently took a recipe approach, encouraging housewives to use pineapple in cooking. In the 1950s it was all about keeping your man happy, with headlines like “Lure those man-eaters with pineapple promise”. It even promised to save marriages, saying “Golden Circle helps you hold your man with this perfume”.
Advertising regularly appeared in the Australian Women’s Weekly and the magazine did much to support the company. Pineapple, fresh and canned, had been featured in many previous recipe competitions but, in the early 1960s, the pineapple recipes that emerged from the Leila Howard kitchen specified Golden Circle pineapple rings, crushed pineapple or pineapple pieces.
Golden Circle became an unlisted public company in 1992. In 2003 the Cannery Board bought the rights to The Original Juice Company in Griffith NSW. This proved to be an unsound investment and in 2007 Golden Circle was forced to sell 35% of the organisation to a US equity company, the first sale of shares to anyone other than the growers. In 2008, Golden Circle became wholly owned by Heinz.
Australian Food Timeline

435874415_10160121496548553_2744816090499385602_n.jpg.04c57c4434aec6a459a58f28b4ffe883.jpg

436509366_10160121503168553_2057394550122913967_n.jpg.388de9dddc939fcb3f43f108819f74e6.jpg
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

TREE-FELLERS - 1905
Tree-fellers using axes to fell a large tree on the Atherton Tableland in North Queensland. The tree-fellers are using springboards as a means of getting higher up the trunk of the tree.

437723849_1759922587830802_4699725699455167273_n.jpg.1f4c2489aef8126b61ace88eee805ea9.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

In 1948 the company began to produce canned paw paw, pineapple jelly, citrus cordials and tropical fruit salad.

What is jelly in Australia?

Here in the states we have basically three types of fruit flavored spread that goes on toast. One is jelly, which is made solely from fruit juice. Generally all we have is apple jelly or grape jelly, but I suppose we could have pineapple jelly. I just haven't seen it.

In Britain, jelly is a gelatin dessert - what we would call jello.

What is it in Oz? Do you spread pineapple jelly on your toast, or do you eat it out of a bowl with a spoon, possibly with whipped cream on it?

Or is it something else entirely?

3 minutes ago, Alpo said:

What is jelly in Australia?

Here in the states we have basically three types of fruit flavored spread that goes on toast. One is jelly, which is made solely from fruit juice. Generally all we have is apple jelly or grape jelly, but I suppose we could have pineapple jelly. I just haven't seen it.

In Britain, jelly is a gelatin dessert - what we would call jello.

What is it in Oz? Do you spread pineapple jelly on your toast, or do you eat it out of a bowl with a spoon, possibly with whipped cream on it?

Or is it something else entirely?

Alpo what you fellas would call jello...... What you call jelly we call jam. 

• Like 3

Do y'all have preserves?

As I say, we have three types. Jelly, which is made from fruit juice.

1495776535-smuckers-straw-jelly.jpeg

As you can see through the jar, there's nothing in there except sweetened thickened fruit juice. No seeds, no lumps.

Jam which is made from fruit pulp. As you can see here it is thicker than jelly, and has little bitty teeny pieces of fruit.

Strawberry-Jam-with-pectin-1600-pxl-2020

And preserves which has

got big chunks of fruit in it.

canning011401823505.jpg

In the case of strawberry. I prefer preserves over jam, and until I started looking just now I didn't even know they made strawberry jelly.

• Like 5

GAME HUNTERS - 1902
The 14ft crocodile was shot by game hunter, ‘Mr White’ in 1902. Photographed by Innisfail magistrate, William Pettigrew Wilson.
THE Imperial Hotel at Innisfail sat across the road from the Johnstone River, a notorious waterway known for crocodiles.
The large timber two-storey hotel was the preferred accommodation for game hunters visiting north Queensland to snag themselves a giant trophy croc early last century. The Imperial Hotel was built for David William Henry in July 1899.
Henry had a short stay as host and died less than six months later, in January 1900 – not as a consequence of a croc attack, but by a less dramatic cause, related to “acute congestion of the kidneys”. He was just 45.
Henry’s widow took over as licensee of the Imperial after his death, until she moved to Townsville to open a pub by the same name in 1906.

436197511_1762923467530714_764015215272662139_n.jpg.12774f73735245d7ac0eb4290a4a2d75.jpg
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

No contest, however I can go most places with a 45 behind my right hip. 

1 hour ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Touche

....... what the Bear said ..........  :blush:

• Like 3

Robert Muldoon, long time ago Prime Minister of New Zealand, who said after being asked if he was concerned about the large numbers of New Zealanders migrating to Australia, replied “no, it had the effect of raising the average IQ of both countries.”

• Like 2
  • Haha 3