SASS Wire Forum

Fastball

Subdeacon Joe

@Subdeacon Joe,

Found it interesting, at least at this point in time, why you haven't seen any responses to your post.

Here are a few possible reasons:

1. Being sports related, our female members most likely are not iinterested in the topic. :(

2. The attention span of most men is very short. A 17:54 minute video length is almost 15:54 too long. :blush:

3. The idea that a group of guys would waste that much energy building a machine that cost thousands of dollars to answer a question that is completely unreasonable, makes watching it excruciatingly painful. :blink: (although I did make it to the 3:35 mark. :o)

I'm giving you a THANKS.JPG.1cae1e7e8c17a01ce76e3125c00d049c.JPG for the thought. B)

The only thing I saw that I would call excruciatingly painful would be trying to catch the ball.

That and the two minute commercial for a bicycle at the end of it.

I'm slightly astounded AT how amazed they were at the fire. They have the leather wrapped baseball traveling at Mach 1.2, going through a leather glove. Leather rubbing against leather at that speed WILL create huge amounts of friction heat. Rub your hands together as fast as you can. They get hot. Rub them together at 1200 feet per second and they would burst into flame.

Being my time in baseball I watched the entire thing with no problem. I was really surprised at the last test that these guys had no idea about velocity. 1000 mph, come on guys. But I was surprised how the baseball remained together after leaving the barrel. That much g-force, wow.

On the last test with the 9 gloves it would have been interesting to know velocity as it struck the first glove vs the velocity after exiting the last glove. Visually you can tell the baseball is slowing down. I wonder by how much.

12 hours ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

This is me after taking a foul ball in an area not protected by my plate gear.  Mind you, this was 11 year-olds, so the shots from older, bigger, faster pitchers are much worse.  

foul.jpg

Do umpires also have the "Don't rub it" rule?

7 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Do umpires also have the "Don't rub it" rule?

Must be hard to "Walk it off" when you have to stay behind the plate.

Archived