SASS Wire Forum

What Bat Mastersons gun went for

Buckshot Bob

Or you could just tell us, or maybe do a cut and paste from that PDF.

Some of us don't like clicking on things that say DOWNLOAD.

I've seen copies of a letter Masterson wrote to Colt, ordering a gun. He wanted a nickel 45, gutta percha grips, with the front (side) SIGHT a little higher than normal, and an easy trigger.

So far so good.

And he wanted the barrel even with the ejector shroud.

That's 4 and 3/4. This gun is 5 1/2. Doesn't sound like the same famous gun.

The documentation looks pretty good.  The problem with most "Bat Masterson" guns is that he bought lots of them in NY City pawn shops to give to people bugging him for a gun.  Most are fake and have no documentation.  Just like 99.9% of Wells Fargo marked items are fake.

Scottsdale’s a good place for the auction. From what I’ve seen there’s a lot more money than good sense in Scottsdale.

People with “that kind“ of money likely do have a good sense, because people with that kind of money likely did not come by their money by accident.

Cat Brules

2 minutes ago, Cat Brules said:

People with “that kind“ of money likely do have a good sense, because people with that kind of money likely did not come by their money by accident.

Cat Brules

Well then I stand corrected. Scottsdale is chock a block full of sensible people. :lol::lol:

35 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

The documentation looks pretty good.  The problem with most "Bat Masterson" guns is that he bought lots of them in NY City pawn shops to give to people bugging him for a gun.  Most are fake and have no documentation.  Just like 99.9% of Wells Fargo marked items are fake.

You beat me to the draw on this one.

It's been said that George Washington had many swords made and engraved to people he knew.  He was a man who understood his place in history and promoted the bejabbers out of it.  Bat just did it to get rid of people who wanted to make a buck or have bragging rights.

1 hour ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

That's because I am using Bat Masterson's very own computer mouse.

Wrong 'Bat' pard....

image.png

10 hours ago, Alpo said:

I thought spitting hares was Elmer's job.

7c1eebd0f67db4d78de4298d7700cec8.jpg

With his spear and magic helmet?:D

Folks don't realize that Warner Bros cartoons were a LOT of kids' only exposure to opera.  You mention the Ring of the Nebelung to most folks and they don't have a clue what you are talking about. 

But say, "Kill the Wabbit," and they know exactly what you re talking about.

Trivia tidbit:  "What's Opera, Doc?" was the first cartoon to be selected to be placed into the Library of Congress' National Film Registry as "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant".

Archived