SASS Wire Forum

Winter Solstice and The ‘Great’ Conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn

Pat Riot

Today is the official start of winter. To celebrate I rode my motorcycle  to work in the extreme temperature of 48 degrees here in SoCal...it'll be a cool 76 later today....Ahem!

Anyway, here is  a  link to a really cool event happening tonight.

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/the-great-conjunction-of-jupiter-and-saturn

4 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

I've been waiting for the Jupiter/Saturn event all month. Now it's pouring rain here and will continue through the week... :(

Bummer. Yeah, I anticipate the marine layer moving in and obscuring the view...Just like it always does here when there  is something interesting to see in the sky.

Super BUMMER bummed.  Some Lustrum ago, my sweetheart gave me a swell Telescope as a great gift.  Since receiving the telescope I've only had opportunity to use it for special events about three times.  Current weather conditions for the Jupiter/Saturn event will remain TOTALLY cloudy.  BUMMER AGAIN

Same here in the Yankee North ... I'm just south of Lake Erie's soggy south shoreline ... cloud cover like a winter quilt, drizzling rainy mist ...
I give up.
I'm making corn bread!

About 85% clear in Springfield, very slight haze.  Using a Leupold spotting scope at   40X, I can see 3 of Jupiter’s moons, none of Saturn’s, I can see the gap between Saturn and its rings.  Atmosphere very unstable, thermal distortion from cooling rapidly after sunset, but fun to see nonetheless.  I’m eager to see the professional photos.

14 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

About 85% clear in Springfield, very slight haze.  Using a Leupold spotting scope at   40X, I can see 3 of Jupiter’s moons, none of Saturn’s, I can see the gap between Saturn and its rings.  Atmosphere very unstable, thermal distortion from cooling rapidly after sunset, but fun to see nonetheless.  I’m eager to see the professional photos.

Same as what we are see'n.

Pretty kwel!  B)

OLG 

Archived