SASS Wire Forum

Hurricane Dorian

Calamity Kris

If the spaghetti models are correct, it looks like Florida may be spared most of the destruction of Dorian.  If it does hook up the east coast, folks in Georgia and the Carolinas need to be wary.  The speeds are approaching a CAT 5.  It currently has sustained winds of 150mph.

The Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Scale is a 1-5 rating based on the hurricane’s present intensity.

Category 1 Hurricane:
Winds 74-95 mph (64-82 kt or 119-153 km/hr). Storm surge generally 4-5 ft above normal. No real damage to building structures.

Category 2 Hurricane:

Winds 96-110 mph (83-95 kt or 154-177 km/hr). Storm surge generally 6-8 feet above normal. Some roofing material, door, and window damage of buildings.

Category 3 Hurricane:

Winds 111-130 mph (96-113 kt or 178-209 km/hr). Storm surge generally 9-12 ft above normal. Some structural damage to small residences and utility buildings with a minor amount of curtainwall failures.

Category 4 Hurricane:

Winds 131-155 mph (114-135 kt or 210-249 km/hr). Storm surge generally 13-18 ft above normal. More extensive curtainwall failures with some complete roof structure failures on small residences.

Category 5 Hurricane:

Winds greater than 155 mph (135 kt or 249 km/hr). Storm surge generally greater than 18 ft above normal. Complete roof failure on many residences and industrial buildings.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at5+shtml/145744.shtml?cone#contents

Lets hope that it turns back to sea and doesn't affect anyone but I learned a long time ago to not trust the spag models or the cone.

If I was on the east coast, I'd leave for an inland location while there is still time. I'd rather hear "You wasted your time and money" than eulogies for people I care about.

Good luck and be safe folks.

This monster is now at a incredible 175 mph. Its about to directly strike the Northern Bahamas now. Damage will be catastrophic and loss of life heavy. My advise to anyone who could be directly impacted if this thing doesn't turn or turns late........LEAVE NOW. Head west to the gulf side of the state while you still can. 

Good luck and stay safe.

Hitting right where we are headed in Nov. 

They and somewhat use to getting hit by big storms. But still.

This thing looks to be a bad one.

Keeping everyone in its path in our thoughts and prayers.

Cypress, have you been taking lessons on how to give directions from Culpepper???  First time I was gonna drive from Colorado to Ohio for the state shoot, he told me to take I70 east to Dayton then turn south....um, the state shoot is NORTH of Dayton....I knew he was a bad influence on you poor FL folks....one more reason for me to be praying for y'all 

1 hour ago, Calico Mary said:

Cypress, have you been taking lessons on how to give directions from Culpepper???  First time I was gonna drive from Colorado to Ohio for the state shoot, he told me to take I70 east to Dayton then turn south....um, the state shoot is NORTH of Dayton....I knew he was a bad influence on you poor FL folks....one more reason for me to be praying for y'all 

If you’re in Galveston you u would head east to the FL gulf coast. Everything is relative. :D

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Everything is relative

That's true.   I'm on the Florida gulf coast, and when my relatives in Texas, want to come see me, they have to go east. :P

I have friends living on the coast from West Palm to Brevard Co. Hopefully the northward turn will happen ASAP. I can’t help but remember Andrew in 92. He went straight across the state even though they predicted the north turn. But it was moving west at a high rate of speed and blew right across the Gulf Stream. But Dorian is only moving at 5mph and should be subject to the strong northward currents.

The folks in the Bahamas are taking a terrible pounding right now. :(

Archived