SASS Wire Forum

More Jugs - P-47 video added

Subdeacon Joe

Had a soft spot for the Mustang, (Spit is still my favourite), but my wife's uncle did pretty well in one with a score of 17 

His book "Black Crosses off My Wing Tips" is a good read.

After the war, he became a Doctor and served the community of Manotick outside Ottawa for many years.

RIP "Hap" Kennedy

734807411_ColdLakeKid.png.0b833d093b3e17e2443916073ebd2a5c.png @Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474

Looks to be a great read indeed.

Thanks for the reference.

Boy there is a lot of history to read about.

http://ww2today.com/new/2016-2/black-crosses-off-wingtip

969491230_BlackCrossesoffmywingtips.thumb.png.03bbea30ce7412221046c22f8655eedd.png

Jugs? Where? I only saw P-51s no P-47s! :blink:

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

That's what I get for trying to do this from my phone.  P-47 video added.

Dem Jugs! I love gun camera footage of them shooting up airfields and Nazi trains! :wub:

I've seen the Flying Heritage's P-47 take flight so many times I'm actually sick of it now. Last weekend they were supposed to fly a bunch of their Luftwaffe planes, but their FW-190A had another mechanical breakdown so they few the P-47 instead. I guess the Jug is the most reliable plane they have because they've flown it more than any other. A couple years ago they flew it again when their P-51D had problems.

2 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

I've seen the Flying Heritage's P-47 take flight so many times I'm actually sick of it now. 

I could watch it every day at breakfast and never get sick of it. :wub:

Beautiful planes. When I was a kid and had toy airplanes, I always liked the look of the F4U Corsair. It was the Kewlest!

Mom logged many-many hrs(WASP)in the P-51, and was an instructor pilot for them.

She said it was her favorite A/C to fly. Added-that it would also kill you faster than any other A/C she ever flew.

She lost several friends to P-51 crashes.

Almost killed her with an engine fire on take-off roll from NAA.

OLG

1 hour ago, Raylan said:

Beautiful planes. When I was a kid and had toy airplanes, I always liked the look of the F4U Corsair. It was the Kewlest!

The Whistling Death. Very cool indeed.

2 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Mom logged many-many hrs(WASP)in the P-51, and was an instructor pilot for them.

She said it was her favorite A/C to fly. Added-that it would also kill you faster than any other A/C she ever flew.

She lost several friends to P-51 crashes.

Almost killed her with an engine fire on take-off roll from NAA.

OLG

More pilots were lost to accidents than combat. Even a J-3 Cub or Cessna Skyhawk can just barely kill you. 

Your mom sounds remarkable. Would like to have met her.  :FlagAm:

Archived