SASS Wire Forum

A Two-and-a-Half-Buck Bargain

Stopped into the new Ace Hardware store in Fresno last week.  Said to Sassparilla Kid, "Ya know... I hear they sell gun screws at these stores.  Let's go check it out!" and wandered off to the fasteners aisle.

Sure 'nuff, right there was a small drawer cabinet full of an assortment of gun screws!  All sort and sizes ~ but how would you ever know exactly what you need?

Simple!  ^_^

Each drawer had a bunch of THESE dudes - for the modest sum of only two dollars and forty-nine cents!  :P

A bargain, I thought... so brought this one home.  :blush:

93927805_GunScrewGauge2.thumb.jpg.4bb489b738e03a6b35c4221ee53abdac.jpg

Hmmm. That’s better than the one I got at Ace last year. Looks like I will have to find an Ace that has these. The one nearest me doesn’t carry gun screws. Of course, it’s a small store. 

1 hour ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Stopped into the new Ace Hardware store in Fresno last week.  Said to Sassparilla Kid, "Ya know... I hear they sell gun screws at these stores.  Let's go check it out!" and wandered off to the fasteners aisle.

Sure 'nuff, right there was a small drawer cabinet full of an assortment of gun screws!  All sort and sizes ~ but how would you ever know exactly what you need?

Simple!  ^_^

Each drawer had a bunch of THESE dudes - for the modest sum of only two dollars and forty-nine cents!  :P

A bargain, I thought... so brought this one home.  :blush:

93927805_GunScrewGauge2.thumb.jpg.4bb489b738e03a6b35c4221ee53abdac.jpg

Sounds good. 

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Be careful, made in China

What isn't?   :mellow:

At least it doesn't have too many moving parts or batteries.  :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Be careful, made in China

Go to a machine shop and ask to check it with their GO-NO GO thread gauges.  If it passes those it's good.  Even if it isn't hardened the chances of wearing it out is minimal.  Beats the heck out of spending money on the micrometers, thread wires, and thread pitch gauge sets.

Howdy,

It would be nice if you let us in on the secret of what it is called.

Those of us who have had the local ace dry up and blow away

might be able to order one?????

I just might drive by the one Ace in a couple counties and

I might be able to get em to check inventory......if I knew what

that thing is called...….

Best

CR

and how does it check out for those who are machinists????

I seem to run in to thread problems a lot. And ANY is too much.

The top of it says "gun screw thread gauge "

ADDED:

A quick search on Google for gun screw thread gauge turned up a few hits.  Looks like it is made by Hillman.  Checking on my phone so a bit limited right now.

Here are a couple more on-line sources:

https://www.greatbrandsusa.com/hillman-fastener-h46274-heavy-duty-9-thread-gun-screw-guage/    $10.59 + $4.50 S&H = $15.09

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Hillman-Gun-Screw-Thread-Gauge-/223432821904                               $ 9.95 + $3.78 S&H = $13.73

Looks like Warden's found the best alternative source.  :)

Ya know... I'm gonna be back in Fresno on Wednesday.  I just might pop into ACE and grab a handful for Christmas stocking stuffers!   :lol:

I have one of these. Brownells sells them with their logo.

Yes these cost more but they are made in the USA, check a lot more screw sizes and provide other useful information.  They sell one for Metric screws as well.

p_080670001_3.jpg?yocs=p_&yoloc=us

Also available on Amazon

Screw Chek’r SAE/ Inch Screw Thread Size Gauge (No. 1 to 5/16) 1/8 Inch Heavy Gauge Steel Screw Checker, Made in USA  

On 6/19/2019 at 7:29 PM, Old Man Graybeard said:

6 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Our local Ace Hardware store has gun screws but I've not seen that gauge.  

I found it on eBay for $8.00.  Looks like that included shipping.  

Found them in the tray with the screws      GW

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I have one of these. Brownells sells them with their logo.

Yes these cost more but they are made in the USA, check a lot more screw sizes and provide other useful information.  They sell one for Metric screws as well.

p_080670001_3.jpg?yocs=p_&yoloc=us

Also available on Amazon

Screw Chek’r SAE/ Inch Screw Thread Size Gauge (No. 1 to 5/16) 1/8 Inch Heavy Gauge Steel Screw Checker, Made in USA  

That looks to be holes and a chart of drill and tap sizes.  If the holes are not threaded, it won't tell you if you have a 6-40 or a 6-48 screw.

45 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

That looks to be holes and a chart of drill and tap sizes.  If the holes are not threaded, it won't tell you if you have a 6-40 or a 6-48 screw.

The LH row of holes are not threaded and are the proper clearance hole size. The remaining 3 rows are threaded.

Here are the instructions for use

image.thumb.png.457f1c60e312dd6f5f7693c6868c7b64.png

Archived