SASS Wire Forum

Apollo 11

On this 50th anniversary of man landing and walking on the Moon, my wife and I just finished watching CNN's "Apollo 11" on Amazon Prime (rental cost is $2.99).  Wow!!! 

I can't think of another single human achievement in my lifetime that was so dramatic and significant as that first step onto the Moon's surface by Neil Armstrong. 

And, I was alive to watch it "live" on TV!   Still mind boggling.

4 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

And, I was alive to watch it "live" on TV!   Still mind boggling

C-Span is playing the CBS footage of the first moon walk.  She just now said that she watched in awe and marveled that men could survive on the moon.  I told her that my amazement was that we could get clear pictures back.  

50 years ago I was a young guy just of college and working with all these old geeks on the Apollo Program at North American (later to be known as North American Rockwell & still later Rockwell International). Now most of them are gone and I am one of the old geeks. I also worked on the Space Shuttle. I worked with some of the smartest and most brilliant people I ever knew, my hats off to all of them for teaching me my life long craft .....Well Done!

I was working for Standard Oil back then living at home. The family was glued to the T.V. watching the entire thing. Just as unbelievable today as it was then. We should have been on Mars 40 years ago, but like Nam, politics had to stick their finger into the pie.

My family watched in amazement except for one person, my stepdad who continually called it a hoax and that we were all fools for believing it. It sure doesn’t seem like 50 years has passed. 

I remember watching it, awesome to be alive when that happened!:FlagAm:

Archived