SASS Wire Forum

dean charlton

Raven Law Dog

Hey Y'all, I've not yet joined SASS or CAS, but I am very interested! Getting started with equipment is a task to say the least. I've tried to read the rules to determine equipment I need.  I think I have what I need for revolver and shotgun, but I can't determine if my, Henry Big Boy 45 colt rifle qualifies for any category, big expense and would love to use it. Can someone advise me. Thanks a million. Just an ole dog trying to learn new tricks!

Go to some shoots then buy. But if you bought already go to some shoots then buy. Bring your stuff to a shoot and see what they are using. Don't be in a hurry to get stuff before you attend some shoots. 

31 minutes ago, Dean Charlton said:

but I can't determine if my, Henry Big Boy 45 colt rifle qualifies for any category, big expense and would love to use it. Can someone advise me. Thanks a million. Just an ole dog trying to learn new tricks!

Welcome!!

Your Henry Big Boy qualifies to shoot is almost every category except one of the costume categories, Classic Cowboy.  So, you're good to go.  Come on out and get 'ta shootin'!  Hope to see you there.

Welcome, tomato stake & all!  (just kidding about "tomato stake"...)  kinda, sorta.  You'll learn why.:D

Welcome!

I've seem Big Boy's in 45 run just fine. Just be aware that you will outrun it or break it eventually. Use it to get started and save your pennies to upgrade later.

Glad to have you aboard!

3 hours ago, McCandless said:

Welcome!!

Your Henry Big Boy qualifies to shoot is almost every category except one of the costume categories, Classic Cowboy.  So, you're good to go. 

Big boy a no-go for B Western as well!;)

Shooters Handbook page 8  Rifle must be of a design of 1880 or later.

Being as the design for the Henry Big Boy is from @ 2000 it is legal for use in B Western.  I have shot against a few guys using a Big Boy, they do run them well, but they don't stand up well to the rigors of this game.  Use the Big Boy until you can afford an upgrade, a used Rossi can be had for about $500.

Welcome, go to some matches ask questions and try the guns they offer.  

Just to let y'all know, some gunsmiths have been tackling the Big Boys.  Boomstick Jay has started tuning them to be able to run well for competition. 

41 minutes ago, McCandless said:

Just to let y'all know, some gunsmiths have been tackling the Big Boys.  Boomstick Jay has started tuning them to be able to run well for competition. 

Oh no! What will the naysayers do????????????

55 minutes ago, Tracker Jack Daniels,58780 said:

Being as the design for the Henry Big Boy is from @ 2000 it is legal for use in B Western.  I have shot against a few guys using a Big Boy

Yep, ever since the Big Boy was ruled SASS-legal.

1 hour ago, Tracker Jack Daniels,58780 said:

Being as the design for the Henry Big Boy is from @ 2000 it is legal for use in B Western. 

Well don't I look silly!:huh: 

I carry B Western rules around for such instances, guess it might be time for a reread for me:lol:

Dean,

Come on down to Salisbury in the morning (July 6th).

Rowan County Wildlife Club.

About 45 mins. south of High Point.

Old North State Posse is having a monthly match.

9am is a good time and we start shooting around  9:45.

Great place to meet local cowboys and talk gear and guns.

Barbwire Benn

On 7/5/2019 at 12:33 PM, Dean Charlton said:

Hey Y'all, I've not yet joined SASS or CAS, but I am very interested! Getting started with equipment is a task to say the least. I've tried to read the rules to determine equipment I need.  I think I have what I need for revolver and shotgun, but I can't determine if my, Henry Big Boy 45 colt rifle qualifies for any category, big expense and would love to use it. Can someone advise me. Thanks a million. Just an ole dog trying to learn new tricks!

Someone else will mention it I am sure but plz go out to a shoot and you will find participants who will loan to you what you need to compete or some clubs even have loaner sets for use by new members. Welcome to the game and have fun!  

14 minutes ago, Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439 said:

Someone else will mention it I am sure but plz go out to a shoot and you will find participants who will loan to you what you need to compete or some clubs even have loaner sets for use by new members. Welcome to the game and have fun!  

+1:  I went out to a cowboy club in Canby, OR yesterday to watch their match... had no intention of shooting... I've been doing this so long, it's almost second nature to enjoy the fun others are having!  Another shooter signing up as I was introducing myself, "forced" guns and ammo on me!, leather gear also... had a blast... free ammo, no guns to clean, and learned a thing or two about reversed shotgun triggers, short strokes on rifles, straight trigger in a '73 & '66... for those, the trigger placement was way off what I'm used to, took me several seconds and had to tilt the rifle to see what my fingers were feeling... At least on the short stroke rifles, I didn't jack out extra rounds like the first time I'd been loaned a short-stroked rifle!  Reversed triggers on shotgun doesn't allow enough time to move barrels, (only shotgun target I missed for the day), but, one could probably become accustomed to that.   Finished 3rd in my category, (can't even do that with my own guns)!  Met some very cool, friendly folks and didn't have to reload any additional ammo, and did I mention I didn't have to clean any guns!  Got served lunch and woohoo, added some spice to my 4th of July weekend!  I have to bring my own guns next time so I can go back to finishing last!  And to cap the day, my son called and said I received a "Regulator" badge in the mail from SASS!  One of these day, I'm going to shoot a clean match... my bucket list will then be complete!!!

Archived