SASS Wire Forum

Got Dirty Bore Mops? How to Clean Them

John Boy

Put them in your rotary tumbler with the Strat-O-Sheen burnishing solution - media and a 2 second squirt of Dawn 3X

* Half an hour or less, 15 mops were ... looking like new :o

If you want to do a 2 for one ... put them in the tumbler with spent brass :D

I've been using bore snakes.  I rinse them out and droop them over a lawn chair.  It really don't get them clean ckean but gets them back into useful conditions.   

We have the Frankford Arsenal tumbler now and it works well. I may try throwing one in with brass and see how it works.  

I bought some small paint rollers and intended to make a handle to mop the bores on the double between stages.   But just ain't got "a round toit". 

Put them in my pockets before my wife does laundry. Gives everything that sexy Hoppes #9 aroma. And they're spotless!

52 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

I've been using bore snakes.  I rinse them out and droop them over a lawn chair.  It really don't get them clean ckean but gets them back into useful conditions.   

We have the Frankford Arsenal tumbler now and it works well. I may try throwing one in with brass and see how it works.  

I bought some small paint rollers and intended to make a handle to mop the bores on the double between stages.   But just ain't got "a round toit". 

I hope not to derail the thread but this has never made sense to me.  You put the mop in from the breech, twist it around a time or two then pull it back out.  But that pulls gunk from the barrel(s) right back into the breech defeating the purpose of mopping in the first place.  The Bore Snake is the much better option by my logic because you pull everything that was in the chamber and out through the muzzle.

28 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

I hope not to derail the thread but this has never made sense to me.  You put the mop in from the breech, twist it around a time or two then pull it back out.  But that pulls gunk from the barrel(s) right back into the breech defeating the purpose of mopping in the first place.  The Bore Snake is the much better option by my logic because you pull everything that was in the chamber and out through the muzzle.

Yeap.  Kind of why I keep using the snake.  Also had the idea of using the roller trick but instead of having it fixed on a rod,  just push it through with a range rod of sorts. 

I'm shooting Blackmz loads in all loads.  Pistols and rifle run the whole match.  But shotgun won't reliably shuck unless the chambers are somewhat clean. 

I see guys that shoot smokeless use a chamber brush on a rod between stages. Probably very little to nothing is there to clean out anyway.  

59 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

Put them in my pockets before my wife does laundry. Gives everything that sexy Hoppes #9 aroma. And they're spotless!

Is that a Bore Snake in your pocket or are you just glad to see me?? :ph34r:

5 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

And you're still married?  She's a KEEPER!!! :wub:

Had to quit shooting four matches a month to stay that way!

DON'T put your cleaning bronze brushes in a rotary cleaner to clean them

I gave it a try today - the brushes came out clean as a whistle, but ... I spent close to a half hour picking the media out of the bristles with a dental pick for close to 30 cleaning brushes

Experiment - was a Disaster :(

There was a thread on the Wire maybe 2017, or early 2018...that discussed cleaning bore brushes in an ultrasonic cleaner. I tried it, worked pretty good, but brushes are not bright and shiny with all the gunk removed. Maybe a 2nd time with clean solution would be like new, or fewer brushes in bath at a time. Anyway, I cleaned about 30 or so I had accumulated over a year or so, still using them and don't need another ultrasonic bath yet. Some are losing bristles or worn down, they get wrapped in a patch for wet or dry pass instead of a mop.

RRR

22 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

What works for me after every other stage, or so,  is to gently use  "cyclone" style coil scour brush in the chamber and forcing cone, then push a 5" or 6" square of soft rag, lubricated with Hoppes #9, through from the chamber end (tight fit) using a bronze 12 GA jag. .  Afterwards, spray VERY LIGHTLY  the chamber with Hornady's silicone case lube.   Shiney clean chambers  every time.  No stuck hulls.  Just takes a couple seconds to do. 

Archived