SASS Wire Forum

Are there guns to avoid

Lynyrd Skynyrd

8 minutes ago, Hells Comin said:

Last year at winter range Deuce saw be dragging around 2 broken Chinese 97's and you know he didn't say a word yeah right.

I'm sure he was just being respectful towards your misfortune..... :lol:

Keep em smoking and make those SxS folks fear your presence..... ;)

..........Widder

7 hours ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

I will politely ask you to keep this information to yourself.  The supply of .38-40 guns is drying up and I want more!

Sorry Pard ;

Your'e Right What was I thinking ....

I still need a Couple or three ,,,,,,, More ...

Jabez Cowboy

Hey Driftwood Johnson;

Looks like You have the Mate of My Stevens ....

Mine is a 235  Stevens made in 1909 ....

In 12 Ga.   I shoot it with full length tubes ...

Jabez Cowboy

5 hours ago, Half Deaf Hoss Deveraux said:

One more for the "go try things" vote.  Some didn't and have regrets.  I followed the advice and have none.

If you'll spontaneously combust if you don't get stuff tomorrow, I'd get the typical go-to's (Vaqueros in .38/.357, a 73 or 66 in .38/.357 and a 97 or Steoger coach gun) so you can sell em' easy if you change your mind later.  Those all move fast on the wire.  I know because I was often too late to get them haha.

Best advice so far! Wish I would have had this advice when I started, I would have been happy then as I am now!! Good luck on the hunt for those perfect firearms, its part of the fun of this addiction!  SCJ

Just be careful who you buy from.   If you find something on the forum from another state, try and get someone you know to go check them out first or at a minimum a video of the weapon functioning at speed.   I am new as well and have only shot one match so far.   I had a couple of great out of state deals but got taken to the cleaners on the other one!! The seller and gunsmith involved wouldn't make it right.   Now I have it with another gunsmith who is trying to salvage it but had to buy another one in order to go to matches.  Buyer beware!!

I have seen more than one shooter quit after buying a Chaparral which broke at every match.

3 hours ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Hey Driftwood Johnson;

Looks like You have the Mate of My Stevens ....

Mine is a 235  Stevens made in 1909 ....

In 12 Ga.   I shoot it with full length tubes ...

Near as I can tell mine is a Model 250.

Somebody had already cut the barrels to 24" before I bought it. I would have rather the barrels be the original 28" or 30", but the 24" length is very handy.

Of course whatever chokes were on it got sawn off, so it is cylinder choked.

I certainly do love shooting it.

Reiner%20NH%20SASS-0010_zpsmdmcyky6.jpg

Driftwood Johnson ;

Really hard to tell from a photo , but Your gun sure does look exactly like mine minus about 6 inches of barrel ...

The model number is between the two screws on the bottom of the action .

My barrels are 29 3/4 inches and are choked M & F...

I also shoot a Husky underlever Made in 1884 ,,,, And a "New Ithica" in 16 ga ,,, both uncut ...

Jabez Cowboy

25 minutes ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Driftwood Johnson ;

Really hard to tell from a photo , but Your gun sure does look exactly like mine minus about 6 inches of barrel ...

The model number is between the two screws on the bottom of the action .

My barrels are 29 3/4 inches and are choked M & F...

I also shoot a Husky underlever Made in 1884 ,,,, And a "New Ithica" in 16 ga ,,, both uncut ...

Jabez Cowboy

Its obvious that it must be hard to get new guns and hacksaw blades in Canada.....

:lol::lol: :lol::lol:

..........Widder

Hey Widder ;

I do have a New Turkish Hammered Double with 18.5 inch barrels made by HUGLO marked Cowboy Deluxe....

Not to sure I like them that Short ... IC in both Barrels.....

Jabez Cowboy

I would avoid Cimarron, because their warranty is far too strict, maybe working for them but not their customers. If the gun has been disassembled for any reason, you're out of luck, even if just verifying the problem. There could be reasons for it, but still a gun to avoid.

28 minutes ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Hey Widder ;

I do have a New Turkish Hammered Double with 18.5 inch barrels made by HUGLO marked Cowboy Deluxe....

Not to sure I like them that Short ... IC in both Barrels.....

Jabez Cowboy

You do have some interesting firearms.

I knew you would find my comment rather on the humorous side, as it was meant.

For some reason, ALL my working guns have short barrels:

Ruger Vaq:   3.5" Octagon (a set in both .32 H&R and .45 Colt)

Marlin 1894:  20" as from factory

IAC 1897:  I've had 10 of them shortened to 18.25".   I left one of them factory length at 22" and a rare

production barrel of 26", of which I decided not to cut.

I've even had my Super BlackHawk Hunter cut to 5.5" and Mag Na Ported.

And I have some custom Ruger 10/22 rifles that I replaced the factory barrel with 16.5" bull barrels.

P.S. - I got all the hacksaw blades down here..... :lol::lol:

..........Widder

Hey Widder Ya better save up some Moola , Pistol barrels for use in Canada need to be 4.1 inches long , and No .32 caliber pistols ....

Or you can just borrow mine ,,, When you come up here to shoot ....

Jabez Cowboy

Here is an odd thought.   I have seen people voice their opinions, pro and con, on just about every gun used in our game.  Some guns get generally positive comments, some negative, some get a mixture. 

With one possible exception...

While have heard something "negative" about every OTHER gun, even if it's just "Nice guns, but I don't like 'em," there is one that I have never heard anyone disparage.

The Winchester '73.   Everybody likes it, nobody hates it.  There are just different levels of enthusiasm for it, but that just accounts for personal preference.

Pass the salt.

H. K. Uriah:

Well let me tell Ya ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I prefer the 66 over a 73 ,,, So there Ya Go ....

I just like the Fit and feel of the 66 better than the 73 ....

Don't Own a Single 73 ,,, lot's of other rifles ...But No 73's ...

Worked on Plenty and your'e right they is fine rifles ..........

Jabez Cowboy

9 hours ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

H. K. Uriah:

Well let me tell Ya ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I prefer the 66 over a 73 ,,, So there Ya Go ....

I just like the Fit and feel of the 66 better than the 73 ....

Don't Own a Single 73 ,,, lot's of other rifles ...But No 73's ...

Worked on Plenty and your'e right they is fine rifles ..........

Jabez Cowboy

Heh.   I figured that as soon as I said what I said that someone would say something.   And yet, you kinda proved my point.  You said you prefer the '66, that there are features about that you like better, but you didn't say anything bad about the 73.  You just gave a personal preference.  :)

I've got a Henry, 66 and a 73.   I don't really find there to be any appreciable difference between them, other than the Henry's way of loading.

Which, BTW, to pull it back to the topic, I think that for a newbie, and Henry is not a good choice.   It has a slightly higher learning curve.   I remember once I was gonna take 3 friends to a shoot, and I gave them all their choice of my rifles.  I told them to look over everything and see what they liked.   After seeing all of them struggle with operating the Henry, I took it off the table.

Pard ;

First off the Henry is the 1860 ,,, Not a 1866 Which has a loading Gate very similar to the 73 ...

Secondly You didn't read my comment all the way through, I never intended to Bash the 73 ,,, I was just pointing out that others like other guns and the sun doesn't rise and set on only the 73 ....

But Yes I was stating my preference ,,,, I shoot 94 Marlins, 92s and 66's ..... No 73's ...^_^:lol:

Jabez Cowboy

16 hours ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Pard ;

First off the Henry is the 1860 ,,, Not a 1866 Which has a loading Gate very similar to the 73 ...

Secondly You didn't read my comment all the way through, I never intended to Bash the 73 ,,, I was just pointing out that others like other guns and the sun doesn't rise and set on only the 73 ....

But Yes I was stating my preference ,,,, I shoot 94 Marlins, 92s and 66's ..... No 73's ...^_^:lol:

Jabez Cowboy

Uhm....

You:  "First off the Henry is the 1860 ,,, Not a 1866 Which has a loading Gate very similar to the 73 ..."

Me:  "I've got a Henry, 66 and a 73. "  

Yeah, I said I have all three guns.   Never equated the Henry with the '66.

You:  "I never intended to Bash the 73 ,,,"

Never said you did....

You:   "I prefer the 66 over a 73"  You then gave reasons why.  No basing to be seen there.

Me:  "And yet, you kinda proved my point.  You said you prefer the '66, that there are features about that you like better, but you didn't say anything bad about the 73.  You just gave a personal preference."

My original comment:  "The Winchester '73.   Everybody likes it, nobody hates it.  There are just different levels of enthusiasm for it, but that just accounts for personal preference. "   Basically the same thing as saying you prefer the '66 for reasons you stated.

You:   "I was just pointing out that others like other guns and the sun doesn't rise and set on only the 73 ...."

That was also my point.   Everyone has their preference, which is fine.    All I said was that I've never seen anyone say that the 73 is something to avoid.

Me:  "The Winchester '73.   Everybody likes it, nobody hates it.  There are just different levels of enthusiasm for it, but that just accounts for personal preference."

I see nothing in your post(s) to contradict this.   You may not have a 73, you may prefer other guns, but I saw nothing in your post to say that you didn't like the 73 in and of itself.

I am not sure why you think I didn't read your post.

Archived