SASS Wire Forum

Outstanding Football Quotes

"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble the football"  
John Heisman  

"I make my practices real hard because if a player is a quitter, I want him to quit in practice, not in a game."
Bear Bryant / Alabama 

"It isn't necessary to see a good tackle, you can hear it!  
Knute Rockne / Notre Dame  

"At Georgia Southern, we don't cheat. That costs money, and we don't have any."
Erk Russell / Georgia Southern 

"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it."  
Lou Holtz / Arkansas - Norte Dame  

"When you win, nothing hurts."  
Joe Namath / Alabama  

"A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall."  
Frank Leahy / Notre Dame  

There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you."  
Woody Hayes / Ohio State  

"I don't expect to win enough games to be put on NCAA probation. I just want to win enough to warrant an 
investigation."  
Bob Devaney / Nebraska  

In Alabama, an atheist is someone who doesn't believe in Bear Bryant."  
Wally Butts / Georgia  

"I never graduated from Iowa. But I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's." 
Alex Karras / Iowa 

My advice to defensive players is to take the shortest route to the ball, and arrive in a bad humor." 
Bowden Wyatt / Tennessee 

"I could have been a Rhodes Scholar except for my grades."  
Duffy Daugherty / Michigan State  

"Always remember Goliath was a 40 point favorite over David."  
Shug Jordan / Auburn  

"I asked Darrell Royal, the coach of the Texas Longhorns, why he didn't recruit me "He said, "Well, Walt, 
we took a look at you, and you weren't any good."  
Walt Garrison / Oklahoma State  

"Son, you've got a good engine, but your hands aren't on the steering wheel."  
Bobby Bowden / Florida State  

"Football is NOT a contact sport, it is a collision sport. Dancing IS a contact sport."  
Duffy Daugherty / Michigan State  

USC lost 51-0 to Notre Dame, his post-game message to his team was, "All those who need showers, take them."  
John McKay / USC  

"If lessons are learned in defeat, our team is getting a great education."  
Murray Warmath / Minnesota  

"The only qualifications for a lineman are to be big and dumb. To be a back, you only have to be dumb."  

"We live one day at a time and scratch where it itches."  
Darrell Royal / Texas  

"We didn't tackle well today, but we made up for it by not blocking."  
John McKay / USC  

I've found that prayers work best when you have big players."  

" To defeat a weak opponent is not the problem: The problem is to win when he is as good or better than you."

Robert Neyland / University of Tennessee

106395831_RobertNeyland.JPG.d05b0074305269a049cb433b8aff6f91.JPG

My favorite, although I didn't see it(just read about it),was from Momday Night Football(I beleieve). Not sure who really said what, so I'll write it the way it OUGHT to be, IMO:

A running back broke through the line of scrimmage and was on his way to a touchdown:

Howard Cosell:  "Nobody's going to catch him now!"

Dandy Don Meredith: "Here comes nobody", as the running back was caught and tackled from behind.

Darrel Royal used to say "It aint braggin if it's true"

And I think Vince Lombardi said:

"A man's most proudest moment is when he's fought his heart out for a cause, and afterwards, lies there on the field of battle.  Exhausted, but victorious"

Or something close to that.  I don't feel like googling it up right now. 

I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.

Vince Lombardi

“If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride – and never quit – you’ll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards.”

Paul “Bear” Bryant 

University of Alabama 

4B60E836-BFFB-40CA-8C95-EF162D388869.jpeg

My daughter had a high school friend 6'6" and 328 pounds.  Coach Reno asked him why he didn't want to try out for the football team and the kid told him that it was  stupid game: 22 guys on a field and they give one the ball and the other 22 beat the hell out of him and try to take it away.  Also said he didn't want to hurt anyone and at his size it was really hard not to.

He had two brothers his size and twin sisters who were about 6'2".  Gorgeous girls, but SCARY!

Was it Lombardi who said, “Winning isn’t everything. It’s the ONLY thing!”?

More Woody Hayes quotes:

"I may not be able to outsmart too many people, but I can outwork 'em."

"Football is, after all, a wonderful way to get rid of your aggressions without going to jail for it."

"Nobody despises to lose more than I do. That's got me into trouble over the years, but it also made a man of mediocre ability into a pretty good coach."

Walter Payton quotes:

"Never die easy. Why run out of bounds and die easy? Make that linebacker pay. It carries into all facets of your life. It's okay to lose, to die, but don't die without trying, without giving it your best."

"If I'm going to get hit, why let the guy who's going to hit me get the easiest and best shot? I explode into the guy who's trying to tackle me."

Archived