SASS Wire Forum

What Should I Buy?

Smoky Pistols

Just looking for recommendations.  If you shot rifle for Josey Wales, or were thinking about shooting JW, what would be your firearm of choice?  And, of course, why?  Asking for a friend

I would shoot my Ruger Old Army revolvers - because I own several pair.  Your friend could shoot Colt Walker reproductions to look like Clint in the movie. 

If I was gonna shoot Josie Wales, I would use the following firearms...

Pistols:  Colt 1860 and Remington 1858, converted to .45 Colt

"Rifles"  Colt Walker and Dragoon, also converted to .45 Colt

"Shotgun"  Uberti SAA Clone in .44 Magnum, using stouter than normal loads, but at the top of the acceptable performance for SASS.

That just seems to be Clintish to me.  :)

Of course, I already own all of these.  :)

Ruger Old Armies

Shoot what you got 

Bring different handguns to each match if you got them.

I have shot Ruger Old Armies. Ruger Blackhawks and Ruger Vaquero's, from 7 1/2 to 3 1/2 inch barrels. Black Powder and Smokeless.

The idea is to have fun and be safe while shooting .

When you can clean a stage or a match , the smile on your face is priceless.

Catlow

Personally, I would be looking at minimum of 7.5" long pistol barrels of your desire that have an excellent clean 1.5 lb trigger pull

Perhaps I misunderstand your original question.  However, one does NOT shoot Josey Wales with a rifle.  Josey Wales is/should be shot with ALL pistols.   The pistols should be guns one is familiar with.  Personally shoot Josey Wales with Cap Guns.  Two Snubbies, Two 5 1/2 inch and another .45 Snubbie for the Shotgun.  Oh, did I forget to mention Proper Josey Wales is shot with Cap Guns??  Recharging cylinders between stages is fun to watch :rolleyes:

Remember to take this into consideration.  The "Colt Walker" revolver, whether you leave it as a cap & ball revolver, or whether you spend some money and have a conversion cylinder put in, so it will shoot the .45 Colt "cat-ridge"...the revolver can weigh close to 5 pounds fully loaded.  It is the biggest revolver of that era, and the more you use it the heavier it seems to get.  The dragoon series is a little lighter, but they also get "heavier" as time goes by.  Check out the movie, and consider what Josey used, and consider what you want to use.  Josey also used a Sharps rifle, in the movie, but I presume you are just interested in the revolvers he carried.  But, as I said, I would definitely consider weight, in choosing the revolvers for this category. 

My Two Bits.

W.K.

4 hours ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

Remember to take this into consideration.  The "Colt Walker" revolver, whether you leave it as a cap & ball revolver, or whether you spend some money and have a conversion cylinder put in, so it will shoot the .45 Colt "cat-ridge"...the revolver can weigh close to 5 pounds fully loaded.  It is the biggest revolver of that era, and the more you use it the heavier it seems to get.  The dragoon series is a little lighter, but they also get "heavier" as time goes by. 

Well sure, but that's part of the fun.   There is nothing quite like wearing a Walker on your left hip and a Dragoon on your right.   Mine are cartridge converted, and I can tell you this, after a few stages, it gets harder and harder to shoot them Duelist style.   Fortunately, I am old enough to shoot '49er now, so I can have a little more leeway.   But for Josie Wales, I'd use them as the "rifles" and shoot 'em two handed. 

After seeing some of the above comments, I still think 5 pistols would be the most fun, but the idea of using a single shot rifle for the "shotgun" sounds like a viable alternative that could be just as enjoyable.   Good excuse to break out the Trapdoor. 

Archived