SASS Wire Forum

Shooting wadcutters in 44sp or 44/40

Slip Hammer Yates 8456

Due to arthritis in my trigger fingers and knuckles (Double duelist) I am finding it increasingly difficult to shoot my Colt 44s.  I don't want to quit shooting my Colt 44s.  I don't want to become a gamer.  Remember those days.  :)  So has anyone loaded light weight bullets such as full wadcutters or semi wadcutters in their 44s?  If so whose bullets and what powder and charge.  Thanks.

Well, I've not done wadcutter types, but maybe this'll help you. 

I normally use a 200 grain RNFP in .44-40, 44 Special and .44 Magnum, each over a minimum charge of Trailboss.   Very mild recoil in all three calibers, even the Magnum, and the Special is by far the lightest.

However, I also came across a box of 180 grain RNFP's that were given to me by a friend, and I tried them in the .44 Special.   Recoil was not appreciably different to me.

Take it with a grain of salt.

I run 200gr rnfp over 6.5gr of Unique. 

Or 200gr rnfp and a full load APP.

Which you could   reduce with a wad under the bullet .

Rooster 

I shot 165g truncated cone for a while but struggled to get them seated right in 44WCF.  They just wouldn't chamber reliably in Sawmill Mary's Smoke Wagons.   Stepped up to 180 round flat and all was well.  Then eventually to 200 round flat and they were even easier to make good loads.  I think the short 165 grain bullets were trying to tip in the seating die.

Make my own as you can cast a 149g full wad cutter using NOE molds , but mine are 145g using wheel weights. You can slow them down and easily meet power factor. Without a nose they do nicely fill the case with a little sticking out to meet the rules. Plenty to engage the barrel lands. Get with me if interested. Good shootin'!

Boulder if you are talking about the Hodgons  trail boss cowboy loads for 165 grain bullets I have that.  If that isn't what you are talking about then I would be interested in what you have.  Preacher I would like to know what loads you use.  I currently load 200 grain bullets in Russian, 44 special, magnum and 44/40 with trailboss.  The problem especially for my left hand is the trigger guard rapping my middle finger's knuckle.  I don't know if lighter loads will help with this or not but want to try it regardless.  Thank you for all the suggestions.

"I don't want to become a gamer"

Whats a gamer?

17 hours ago, Slip Hammer Yates 8456 said:

Boulder if you are talking about the Hodgons  trail boss cowboy loads for 165 grain bullets I have that.  If that isn't what you are talking about then I would be interested in what you have.  Preacher I would like to know what loads you use.  I currently load 200 grain bullets in Russian, 44 special, magnum and 44/40 with trailboss.  The problem especially for my left hand is the trigger guard rapping my middle finger's knuckle.  I don't know if lighter loads will help with this or not but want to try it regardless.  Thank you for all the suggestions.

It's right out of the manual, 4.9 grains with Missouri Bullets #12 165 gr bullets

I am still working on 44 Russian, did 44-40.I use Red Dot or American Select. I tried many other powders in my testing. I hate Trail Boss, anyway. Get or borrow a crony and work up and/or down until you get a load that works for you and meets the rules. I don't trust scales so much anymore as they never seem to align with the books as there are too many variables. Feel free to contact me as I don't like to get load specific with the wire. The wad cutters work great in revolvers, just sayin'. Good shootin' to ya!

I cast 164 grain big lube bullets for my wife Dixie Rose to shoot in her Super Blackhawks lubed with Lee Alox and sized with Lee sizing die over 5 gn of Tite group and crimped with Lee FCD and it’s super mild and easy on her.

BD

P.S. she just enjoys shooting, she don’t git in no hurry lol

Archived