SASS Wire Forum

Star Spangled Banner - With A Twist

Calamity Kris

I know that great song has stirred controversy here but I thought this rendition and the story that is behind it was worthy of a listen.

http://insider.foxnews.com/2018/10/27/high-school-football-players-country-version-national-anthem-goes-viral

I heard him this morning on Fox, and in my opinion our National Anthem is not open to personal interpretation. It should be played like it was intended. If it wasn't for the words I wouldn't have known it was our National Anthem. I have no doubt this kid is a patriot and proud of the US, but I didn't like his rendition.

2 hours ago, Tascosa, SASS# 24838 said:

I heard him this morning on Fox, and in my opinion our National Anthem is not open to personal interpretation. It should be played like it was intended. If it wasn't for the words I wouldn't have known it was our National Anthem. I have no doubt this kid is a patriot and proud of the US, but I didn't like his rendition.

Hmmm.....my thoughts are all over on this.  "As it was intended" itself is open to interpretation. The words were intended to be recited, not sung. The meter matched that of "To Anacreon In Heaven" and so the words were put to that melody.     

I do agree that personal interpretation for public events is in poor taste.

4 hours ago, Tascosa, SASS# 24838 said:

Agree 100%.

It's just different. And thankfully, IMO, tastefully done. Just imagine what some of the freakshow major celebrity vocalists could do to ruin the Star Spangled Banner. All in the name of art as distasteful as Maplethorpe. That might be extreme but, you know how things go...

That said, I will always prefer the traditional Star Spangled Banner.  

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 7:34 AM, Subdeacon Joe said:

Hmmm.....my thoughts are all over on this.  "As it was intended" itself is open to interpretation. The words were intended to be recited, not sung. The meter matched that of "To Anacreon In Heaven" and so the words were put to that melody.     

I do agree that personal interpretation for public events is in poor taste.

You really DON'T want to hear it as originally intended… what a dirge that would turn it in to!     But since you folks DO want it 'as originally intended".....well….. Enjoy

Archived