SASS Wire Forum

Need some feedback on Turkish shotgun

Big Six Henderson #16594

My wife, Lil, had rotator cuff surgery on both shoulders., and was unable to hold her '97 up long enough to shoot.

We saw a Turkish made 12 ga , light weight, shotgun at the TN State Match., and she really liked it. One of the shooters let her fire a few rounds and she did ok.

So, I'm looking for any opinions on the shotgun.

Yildiz,, Elegant, double barrel.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks. 

Current listings on their website show shortest barrel is 61 cm, while my Baikal MP220 is 51 cm. It is typical of what others are shooting. I wonder about felt recoil increasing as gun weight decreases.

2 hours ago, Patagonia Pete said:

Yep .. nice ... I think you can only buy them in Academy Sports & Outdoors stores. 

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/yildiz-12-gauge-side-by-side-shotgun-105280002#repChildCatid=1584947

I think that 28" barrel is 8" too long. Why would she want a barrel-heavy gun in her condition? Must be more to the story here.

10 minutes ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

I think that 28" barrel is 8" too long. Why would she want a barrel-heavy gun in her condition? Must be more to the story here.

If you haven't shouldered the Yildiz Elegant side by side you'd be surprised by how well it balances.  My Chinese Century SxS with 18" barrels feels significantly more front heavy than the Yildiz with 28" barrels.

43 minutes ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

I may be mistaken but I think when I looked at these before they had a 20" model ... but in any case ... not a biggie ... getting a barrel cut and a nice big sight installed. 

1 minute ago, Patagonia Pete said:

I may be mistaken but I think when I looked at these before they had a 20" model ... but in any case ... not a biggie ... getting a barrel cut and a nice big sight installed. 

Yes, the gun will need to be prepared anyway.

12 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

@Big Six Henderson #16594 I think those are the ones Papa Dave has started slicking up. You might call him and talk to him about them. I believe they can be bought at Academy Sports.

Yes, those are the ones Papa Dave is slicking up. I think he cuts the barrels to 18" ? They seem to be working very well. 

Randy

12 hours ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

Yes, those are the ones Papa Dave is slicking up. I think he cuts the barrels to 18" ? They seem to be working very well. 

Randy

Interesting that it would be cut that short. I see that 18 is the minimum length unless registered and taxed. I also notice that the barrel rest in my gun cabinet matches my gun's 20 inch barrel, given the gun's more less standard length of butt, so an 18 would not be compatible, even farther off for a shortened butt. Lastly, I wonder about balance and whether the shorter barrel would work very well with tossed clay bonus targets.

16 minutes ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

Interesting that it would be cut that short. I see that 18 is the minimum length unless registered and taxed. I also notice that the barrel rest in my gun cabinet is at 20 inches, so an 18 would not be compatible. Lastly, I wonder about balance and whether the shorter barrel would work very well with tossed clay bonus targets.

The nice thing about making a “field” gun into a cowboy shotgun is that you can have the barrels cut to any length you like. You are not stuck with the “factory coach gun” barrel length.  I had my SKB cut to 22 or 23” (I forget which) but some shooters prefer the barrels just over 18”.  It comes down to personal preference.

I have owned a few Turkish made shotguns imported by CZ-USA.  All positive experiences with them.  I also saw quite a few CZ O/U in 4H for Trap, Skeet and Sporting Clays.  Again all positive reviews.  The CZ shotguns seem to be well built guns that are reasonably priced.

12 hours ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

Interesting that it would be cut that short. I see that 18 is the minimum length unless registered and taxed. I also notice that the barrel rest in my gun cabinet matches my gun's 20 inch barrel, given the gun's more less standard length of butt, so an 18 would not be compatible, even farther off for a shortened butt. Lastly, I wonder about balance and whether the shorter barrel would work very well with tossed clay bonus targets.

They are probably a fraction over 18" just to be safe. Several folks in our area like the shorter length, they come back out of windows and go through doors easier. We have an occasional tossed bird from a Pigeon Flipper target and an occasional thrown bird and they don't seem to have any problem with them. They feel a little short to me but some really like them.

Randy

I have a gun that was cut to 18".  I nearly defecated on myself the first time I measured it because I measured a quarter inch below 18".  I measured after I bought it.  Even though it looked short, I knew it came from a reputable gunsmith so I trusted he knew what he was doing.  When I finally got a good measurement it was 18 1/16th".  I love the gun but I don't like having it that short. 

I had my current gun cut to 18 to get rid of the fixed chokes ... but ... (IMHO) I think windows and doorways is the real biggie (as already mentioned).

Also ... at the ranges we shoot .. a bigger spread might carry an edge hit that otherwise would be a miss. 

There is a lot of "stuff" out there about shot performance with different length barrels and I was shocked at the close range difference in shot spread due simply to barrel length.

Check out this video ... this guy does a pretty good demonstration (using #8 at ranges we shoot at) w/o dragging it out or making you suffer too much ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sscTyDjRbFk 

Archived