SASS Wire Forum

Winter Olympics.......Crazy!

Just tuned in to the men's 2 man bobsled. The US after the first run was 0.58 sec behind the lead.........and were in 12th place!!!!! :o We just took the lead by 0.04 sec. 4/100th of a second. Just crazy how close these races are!

My 2 cents,

JHC

1 minute ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Yep. Overturned AFTER crossing the finish line.

AH!  From the snippet I saw of the close up of the blade/runner it had run up to the top, over the yellow line as they came out of the turn and it was on its side as it crossed the line.  But, I was going back and forth to the kitchen so  I didn't get it all.

You might be right. I guess as long as you cross the finish it counts. Wasn't there a wreck in a NASCAR race a few years ago where the winner crossed the finish line on his roof? :blink:

JHC

Isn't it amazing how many ways a human can invent to slide down a mountain of ice.

As far as I am concerned, all this ranks right up there and just below jumping out of a perfectly good airplane.

I kind of like the snowboarders who do tricks off of a ski jump.  They slide down a long hill picking up a lot of speed, go up a ramp that throws them 50 feet in the air, spin and twist in the air and then land on their head and slide to the bottom of the hill.  That's a lot more fun to watch than ice dancing.  I don't remember who won, probably because I was laughing so hard.

6 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

I kind of like the snowboarders who do tricks off of a ski jump.  They slide down a long hill picking up a lot of speed, go up a ramp that throws them 50 feet in the air, spin and twist in the air and then land on their head and slide to the bottom of the hill.  That's a lot more fun to watch than ice dancing.  I don't remember who won, probably because I was laughing so hard.

And the observer quickly says, that was a 1280, two complete revolutions around and two more head over heels, but he threw his arms up to control his spinning, that will cost him points.

14 hours ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

Isn't it amazing how many ways a human can invent to slide down a mountain of ice.

Yes, it is, but my all time favorite is the way Utah Bob does it!  :lol:

13 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

And the observer quickly says, that was a 1280, two complete revolutions around and two more head over heels, but he threw his arms up to control his spinning, that will cost him points.

He can do that instant analysis because he's already seen the run, since it occurred earlier. 

A couple of Olympics ago, I watched some live downhill runs on my computer. The only sound was the skis on the snow. Then I saw some of the very same runs that evening with all the instant analysis and commentary.  :mellow:

1 hour ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

He can do that instant analysis because he's already seen the run, since it occurred earlier. 

A couple of Olympics ago, I watched some live downhill runs on my computer. The only sound was the skis on the snow. Then I saw some of the very same runs that evening with all the instant analysis and commentary.  :mellow:

Yea, I think they've got an 'umbrella' set up between the visuals and audio.   Then when WE see it on the tube, they have been matched closer together.

I can't prove it, but the umbrella does help eliminate that accidental 'Oh Sh-t' comment from the commentator over an accident on the slopes, or a bi-stander making an obscene comment.

..........Widder

There may be a setup like that Widder. I'm pretty sure that's what they do for NFL, MLB etc games.

What I saw was several hours between what was broadcast in the evening and what I saw earlier in the day. They have something like a hundred runs to sift thru for the 6 or 7 they show in prime time.

I have to admit that watching the runs without commentary was a wee bit dull. Having the commentators yammering does on average, make it more entertaining. 

Archived