SASS Wire Forum

Any o' ya'll drive a Honda Fit?

Three Foot Johnson

My old Civic's transmission finally bit the dust and it's just not worth fixin'.

The local Honda dealer has some 2017's they need to move, one of them is a "loaner" they let customers use while their car is being serviced/repaired. It's gone through the Honda Certified Used Vehicle checklist routine, has a little over 2000 miles on the odo, and looks & drives like new, of course, but discounted cuz it's used.

I like the fuel economy, storage capacity, and the thing is roomy enough for a trophy buck like me to get into and drive (6' 4", 290 lbs). The biggest complaints I can find online are the sluggish, odd shifting of the CVT, a decidedly counter intuitive radio, and relatively small fuel tank. Oddly enough, the CVT automatic is rated @ almost 10% better fuel economy than the 6 speed manual, go figure. The CVT is what it is - that's just how they work. I seldom listen to the radio, and I can live just fine with "only" 350 - 400 miles between fuel stops.

I should have bought something two weeks ago - I've lost enough on the stock market the past 6 market days to pay for it twice over. :(

Howdy 

Local Honda store has a 2012 civic si stick shift sitting right in the front row.

Hardly any stick cars around....

It keeps daring me to drive it.....

Best

CR

silver.

I've read a lot of online reviews lately and the only real complaints I see are the quirks of a CVT automatic transmission, a radio whose controls make no sense, and a relatively small gas tank (10.6 gallons). I seldom listen to music when I drive - I find it distracting - and I don't see 10.6 gallons of fuel in a car that gets 40+ mpg out on the highway as much of a detriment, but that's just me.

I made an appointment with the salesman to bring my gun cart in Wednesday morning to see how well it fits. ;)

Howdy,

I didn't know stick was available in the fit.

Hmmmmm

Best

CR

I just found a nice lookin Passport but no parts avail.

maybe next year?

The big complaints about the manual transmission are the gear ratios are too close and, at freeway speeds, the engine is turning 3500 rpm at only 70 mph, while the CVT is only at 2500. Probably a good reason the automatic gets ~10% better mileage. ;) The CVT is a more expensive option ($800...?) and you lose 2 hp, but the extra expense is paid for quickly with the higher mpg, and losing 2 hp on a 130 hp engine... well... I bet that won't be noticeable at all.

8 hours ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

The big complaints about the manual transmission are the gear ratios are too close and, at freeway speeds, the engine is turning 3500 rpm at only 70 mph, while the CVT is only at 2500. Probably a good reason the automatic gets ~10% better mileage. ;) The CVT is a more expensive option ($800...?) and you lose 2 hp, but the extra expense is paid for quickly with the higher mpg, and losing 2 hp on a 130 hp engine... well... I bet that won't be noticeable at all.

Get a Yugo. It'll be right at home on your 2 mile driveway. :D

I'm sure my "driveway" is what finally killed my Civic! I should have built at the lower end of the place, instead of all the way up here, lol.

Oddly enough, I watched a short YouTube video only a couple hours ago about the top 10 worst cars ever sold in the US, and the Yugo was #1 on the list. :lol:

As far as manual transmition, my wife's is a 2011. Not sure if they still offer it. My wife looks at most things offered as options as just one more thing that might break. Automatic transmissions, electric windows. All the computer stuff.

49 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

J-Bar, Watchin you climb out of a Honda Fit would be a whole lot like the Ringling Brothers Clown Car  :)

I worked with a "large boned" person kind of like J Bar. Watching him getting in and out of his Carmen Ghia was like watching someone trying to fit a marshmallow into the slot on a piggy bank. :lol:

You all might be surprised just how big that thing is inside. I think it's got nearly the headroom that my F350 has, plenty of leg room, plenty of shoulder room, and I took my gun cart in this morning and it fits in the back without taking the wheels off or moving the front seat forward or folding down.

Remember what I'm upgrading from, Charlie... :lol:

1982Civic.jpg

Howdy,

I have one alternative for you, the Honda Element.

No longer available new but NEW cars have so much computer clutter.

I'm looking too, and the local dealer has one element but its black.

Best

CR

The Element is toward the top of my list and I checked out some used ones, but the big thing was the relatively poor fuel economy - 20/25, while the Fit is rated 33/40 with most owners reporting better. That, and a good many were still in the $10,000+ range and quite often 100,000+ miles, with the newest ones being 7 years old now - in another 6 months, they'll actually be 8 model years old, as the 2019 cars will be hitting the dealer lots about then. There are a lot of used Fits out there under $10,000, and mileage is often 50,000 or even less. But why pay $10,000 for a used car when not much over $15,000 gets you into the same model, two or three years newer, with a full warranty?

I'll be the contrarian. 

My wife had one of these things.  Right from the start I hated it.  Felt like driving a tin can.  I'm glad we're finally rid of it.

On the other hand, we didn't have any trouble with it for about 70k miles. 

59 minutes ago, Charlie Whiskers said:

So, whatcha gonna buy J Bar?

The Element has just been discontinued too long for my comfort. I've been into the dealer and driven the Fit three times, and don't really see any need to upgrade from the base LX version if I go that way. One of the biggest things for me is fuel economy. I find the Fit comfortable to drive, it gets great mileage - in excess of 40 mpg highway - plenty of room despite its deceptive compact appearance, biggest cargo capacity (volume-wise) in its class, overwhelmingly good reviews/good reputation, and quite inexpensive especially if you skip the unnecessary bells & whistles of the EX and EX-L. AND the base LX version has a conventional radio with knobs & buttons, rather than the "upgraded" touch screen on the EX and EX-L, one that's pretty straight forward and easy to comprehend. The "better" radio on the two models above it is difficult to understand and uses a touch screen requiring you to take your eyes off the road and study what you're doing, even to just turn the volume up or down.

I sure as hell wish the stock market would stabilize... after today, I've lost enough in nine market days now to buy three of these. :(

Doc, the '82 Civic I posted above is the absolute definition of driving a tin can! The Fit would be a big step up into a brave new modern world for me! If I need something bigger, there's an '05 F350 crew cab around here somewhere. ;)

(edit) I discovered I'll have to buy a new coffee mug, no matter what I get. The new cup holders aren't quite big enough around for my 80's vintage Aladdin travel mug. :lol:

1 hour ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

sure as hell wish the stock market would stabilize... after today, I've lost enough in nine market days now to buy three of these

Time to go dig up your stash of gold coins. Then you can have any size cup holder installed. What about one of those VW diesel wagons, I don't remember what they're called? I know a couple of folks that have those and really like them....good mileage too or so they claim. My Dr. had one and finally traded it in after 350,000 miles.

J Bar, My old '77 Civic didn't "feel" like as much of a tin can as that Fit did.  On the road it was noisy, rattled, suspension was anything but tight.  I really hated driving that thing and did as little as possible.  I was also not happy about it being the carpool to school car for the kids.  My wife now drives an Outback. 

When she was looking at the Fit, she also checked out an Impreza wagon.  While more expensive, I wish she had bought that.

And you ain't lost anything in the market yet.  Not until you sell, and then only based on your buy price.  Yesterday afternoon I took advantage of the sale and bought back in with all the cash I had on the sidelines.

13 hours ago, Charlie Whiskers said:

Time to go dig up your stash of gold coins. Then you can have any size cup holder installed. What about one of those VW diesel wagons, I don't remember what they're called? I know a couple of folks that have those and really like them....good mileage too or so they claim. My Dr. had one and finally traded it in after 350,000 miles.

VW Golf, maybe? VW got caught in some kind of emissions certification scam a few years back, and I don't think they've had a diesel car since.

What year was your Fit, Doc?

It looks like the wind tunnel pretty much defines what this class of car will look like... they're all the same on the outside. :lol:

Fit_Note.jpg

3 hours ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

VW Golf, maybe? VW got caught in some kind of emissions certification scam a few years back, and I don't think they've had a diesel car since

It was more like an SUV...name started with a T. I guess VW will be selling diesels again in the US....or not depending on what and who you believe on Google.

Just curious; how many miles are on your Civic? If it still runs good and drives good, why not get the tranny fixed or replaced with one from a bone yard. A whole lot cheaper than spending $10-15,000 for a new something.

Touareg?

Ya, I checked into it - the used transaxles are available from Spaulding or a U-pick yard for under $400 now and then, but who knows the condition or mileage on them, and I don't like working on that stuff anymore like I did when I was 20. :P Anyway, I already sold it on Craigslist - it had ~127,000 and change on it, and when I bought it in 2010, it only had 60,040 on the clock. :blink: The original owner lived down below me a couple miles and she bought it new here in Helena in '82. She passed in 2010, and I picked it up through the estate sale. Good body, good mechanics, everything worked, but the interior was in tough shape from parking it outside in the sun for 28 years.

Somebody over by Anaconda came and got it, then a couple days later, I went down to the highway to get the mail, and discovered I left my mailbox key in the Civic. I've got another key around somewhere, but couldn't find it, so I called the guy up and he said, "I'll mail it to you"... see any problem here yet? :lol: I suppose I could have just had the post  office hold my mail in town until it showed up, or had him UPS or FedEx it, but I finally just drove over and got it from him. I hadn't had a good ol' world-famous Butte pasty or pork chop sandwich in awhile anyway. :)

Doc, they made some improvements and introduced the 3rd generation in 2015, so some things have changed, but I don't know just what. They must be doing something right, because it's in its 17th year of production now, and its 11th year in the US - across the pond, and elsewhere, it's called the Jazz.

OK...J Bar, what did or have you even decided on getting? I still favor the Yugo for your driveway. TOP 10 #1 can't do better than that...buy 10 or 20 of them for $100 or $200 each, then you'll be set for a year or two. :D ^_^

I like it better than the Sonic and the Note, definitely roomier somehow, go figure - haven't tried the Golf. I need to go to town Monday anyway, so I might just stop in and seal the deal. I think I've got a an old checkbook box full of hundreds in the center console of my truck... if not, there are a couple more around here somewhere.

(edit) HA! I just realized Monday is my birthday! It's like a sign from God!

1 hour ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

I like it better than the Sonic and the Note, definitely roomier somehow, go figure - haven't tried the Golf. I need to go to town Monday anyway, so I might just stop in and seal the deal. I think I've got a an old checkbook box full of hundreds in the center console of my truck... if not, it's around here somewhere.

(edit) HA! I just realized Monday is my birthday! It's like a sign from God!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY I quit keeping score on B'day's after 65.

On 2/6/2018 at 7:08 AM, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Funny with the new computer systems that monitor and regulate everything its hard to find a stick shift that gets better mileage than an automatic. My Chevy HHR, the auto got 2 MPG better than the stick on the window sticker anyway.

lol.......

That's because computer programmers and software engineers are so smart, or at least that's what I spend a big portion of each day telling myself. :)

Archived