SASS Wire Forum

New 1866 Winchester/Moruki(sp?) brass needs polishing

Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439

There are a bunch of good ones here.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=metal+polish&sprefix=semi+chr%2Caps%2C193&crid=2TL1FMHLY3A14

I have had great success with Semi-Chrome, Flitz and Maas.  Any will do the job and keep your 66 bright and shiny.

yes , you can have it shiny if you want with any tarnish remover that works , but you will have to retreat at regular intervals to maintain it , i did not mean to imply that you should not have it so , if its what you like , you should [my henry golden boy is and ill maintain that] im simply saying my working guns are not , only the collectors are maintained that way , i keep them 'as found' to the best of my ability , 

Howdy,

I find it hard to believe that a few years out in the weather on a saddle

and being all shiney and fresh.  

But, IF you insist or are attracted to shiny things....after you git it all polished

take some carnuba car wax  and buff it in reall well.

"Beats um all", is my personal favorite 

all up to you.

I use brass cases for various projects and I like it to pop.

Best

CR

I use "Never Dull", Flitz and Wright's brass polish on my rifles. I had a 75' 1898 steam yacht for decades. All of its hardware was brass. "Never Dull" and Flitz kept it clear enough to hurt your eyes when the sun hit it. I maintained the boat myself so I sure as H... learned quickly what was best for that much brass!  :-) Black powder shooting sure dulls the brass. As an old Marine, I like it squared away!

Brasso is what we used in the Corps. I don't think it holds a candle to Flitz!!!

I forgot to mention that a lot of brass is coated with varnish. Any imperfection leads to a really black surface. The varnish needs to be removed.

Well again thanks for. All the suggestions, the Meguiars metal polish arrived first of the 4 you all suggested and after about 45 minutes of elbow grease I arrived at this result. I know some of u may think it sacrilegious but now it looks new. And to think Winchester showed one even more tarnished at the Shot Show!

IMG_0669.JPG

SimiChrome metal polish in a little tiny tube dispenser. I've used it for over 30 years for all kinds of brass polishing, including  SHMBO"s Taylor's/Uberti reproduction 1866 Winchester lever action rifle purchased new in 2002. Like my lovely wife, it still sparkles to this day.  

and the engravers love them because the metal is softer than the steel.

Chili I can handle it getting tarnished. I just wanted it as shiny as the new shotgun shells I gat from MagTech!  And while engraving sounds like an idea, I am saving up for an 1886, 1895 and if they are still making them an 1860 Henry from Henry. And that should take care of my collection of Winchester lever actions for my son and I to enjoy. 

There's nothing wrong with expecting a brand new gun to look, well, new. It's funny that there are all these excuses for a brand new gun to look tarnished, yet in all of the racks in which I have seen brand new Winchester 66's, not one has been tarnished. They all look brand spanking new and shiny. I wonder why that is. Do you suppose the gun store owners know that a shiny new gun will sell better than a tarnished old looking one listed at the same price? Now my Uberti 66 is getting nice and tarnished and I like it that way. The difference is that all of the tarnished has come from me and my black powder rounds. As it should be in my opinion. Keep the pictures and updates coming, Nimble.

4 hours ago, Redwood Kid said:

...in all of the racks in which I have seen brand new Winchester 66's, not one has been tarnished. They all look brand spanking new and shiny. I wonder why that is. Do you suppose the gun store owners know that a shiny new gun will sell better than a tarnished old looking one listed at the same price?

Like I said earlier, the folks working at the Cabelas I went into apparently didn't have that part figured out. The '66 they had on display literally looked like a used gun. I'd imagine guys working in a small gun shop would be more likely to get out a rag and some metal polish and shine it up so that it'd look better.

Archived