SASS Wire Forum

Aussie language question

Alpo

Father Goose, south Pacific, WW2.

One of the little English girls tells Cary Grant, "Mr. Eckland, they want you on the wireless".

English girl, "wireless" - sounds right to me.

Another part, Trevor Howard playing Commander Howden, Royal Australian Navy, pleads, "Keeeep them away from the radio, Walter".

Radio? I thought all Commonwealth countries called it a wireless.

Hell, for that matter, I thought everyone but US called it wireless.

So, do they have radio in Oz, or wireless?

Well Alpo I think the problem is just that y'all are giving hollyweird way to dang much credit for accuracy. Expect nothing of the sort from their movies and at times you may be surprised. Not very often mind you, but occasionally.

The language usage differences between North America and Australia can sometimes be, shall we say .....amusing?

Case in point: Dr.Dr. Bob was on a Teacher's  Exchange between his school board and one in Queensland.

The class room he was teaching in, had the usual teacher's desk and he was trying to find something in it and was emptying things from the draws when the students filed in.

One asked him what he was looking for and he responded he was rooting around looking for whatever, then looked up at the girlish gasps and tittering.

It seems "Rooting" has a very different meaning in Australian, one having something to do with procreation of the species.

Went there (Australia) in the 70's, courtesy US Navy.  A shipmate named Randy drew some giggles when introduced.  Don't know what images went through their minds when I'd ask about which footy side they rooted for.

Incidently, GO CROWS!

I can just imagine!

By the way, better tell readers what "Footy" is or there may be some strange images popping up in their minds as well!:D

"Footy" is Australian Rules Football.  Most un-soccer like.  It can also mean the ball used to play same.  A manly game for manly men,  played by teams of 18 crazies on a cricket ground (really big oval about 180 x 150 yards).  If you get into it, other sports look like girls' field hockey.  Oh yeah, there are women's teams too.

I think Sub Deacon hit the nail on the head.

I use Radio but then I am Military trained and at the time I joined we were mainly using US equipment. Remember the 77 set?

Ref the sports, Footy can also mean Rugby League- A gentleman's game played by thugs, Rugby Union- A thugs game played by gentlemen, Aussie Rules- Aerial ping pong (guess who isn't a Victorian and doesn't particularly follow Aussie Rules:P) or Soccer- I still haven't figured that one out:ph34r:.

Like "rooting around", footy has multiple meanings pending where you are from and the context of the discussion.

Strine is not a dialect for the faint hearted:blush:

Strine
strʌɪn/
informal
noun

1. 1.
    the English language as spoken by Australians; the Australian accent, especially when considered pronounced or uneducated.
    "I found myself speaking Strine within minutes of arrival"
    •  

adjective

1. 1.
    relating to Australians or Australian English.
    "he spoke with a broad Strine accent"

Archived