SASS Wire Forum

"Honorary Marine" Jim Nabors crossed over today

Sedalia Dave

2017 has been rough year !

RIP Gomer 

Thank you for all the Laughs 

Rooster 

From IMDb 

Comic Bill Dana caught Jim's act and opted for the latter assessment, inviting him to audition for Steve Allen's TV variety show. Jim went on to appear on Allen's show a number of times. TV star Andy Griffith caught his silly singing "down home" gimmick as well and offered him the part of dim but lovable gas station attendant "Gomer Pyle" on his popular 60s sitcom. Jim's career took off like a skyrocket. His sheepish "gawwwleee" and bug-eyed "shazzayam" expressions became part of the American vernacular and it wasn't long before the beloved character would spin off into his own series. Gomer Pyle: USMC(1964) was a solid hit as the bungling, painfully naive, gentle do-gooder found himself hilariously at odds with the Marine Corps and a particularly tough Sergeant Carter (played terrifically by the late Frank Sutton). The show ran a respectable five seasons and Jim solidified himself as a household name.

On the downside of this TV success, Jim found himself inextricably pigeon-holed as a gullible, squeaky-clean hick. As a result he found work elsewhere, particularly in children-oriented series for Sid and Marty Krofft and Jim Henson. He also decided to refocus on his beautiful baritone voice. Recording a number of romantic, easy listening albums, five of them went gold and one went platinum. He earned a gold record for his rendition of "The Lord's Prayer".

RIP Gom.

I like him as 'PYLE' the Marine.

But, I loved him as Gomer, the gas station guru..... "Water-n-Air is free.  But we gotta charge for Gas-n-Oil".   (or something like that).

One of my favorite episodes of Andy Griffith show was when Gomer felt like Andy saved his life and chopped up all that wood that filled up the inside of the house and front porch.

He brought laughs to millions for many years.

..........Widder

Archived