SASS Wire Forum

Crushing New 38 spl Cases

Judson T. Oakley

I am loading 38's with my Dillon 550 and crushing the cases with new brass. I recently purchased new Starline Brass and have been crushing about 6 cases out of 100. I also have reloaded cases previously used without any issue in crushing a case. I did not see any need to adjust the settings on the dies since they are all 38's. Appreciate any thoughts on why these new cases may be rippling or crushing infrequently as I load. 

IMG_1146 (1).JPG

^ What Dutch said,

same thing happened to be with brand new .44 mag brass

lowered the belling funnel (SDB) and problem went away

also bevel base bullets help a great deal

didn't have to chamfer inside of cases but that is also a good thing to go (laziness got to me)

cheyenne 

Adjust the expander plug in the Dillon 550 press so that 1/2 of the bullet base seats in the case (with any caliber reload) - That's all that needs to be done when the bullet is seated in the 3rd station - with the proper COAL, of course

Had same problem when was seating and crimping in one step, went to separate seat and crimp dies and solved my problem, Dillon 650.

The 1st time I loaded a rimmed straight wall caliber (45LC) using new cases on my progressive press (XL650) I had the same problem.  Then I checked an internet forum looking for the solution.  It was suggested that the new cases be run through the resizing die and OAL checked.  Sure enough all the new Starline cases required trimming.  None of the sized & trimmed cases were crushed when loaded.

I use a quick spray of Hornady One Shot lube before a reloading session... I'll put a LOT of cases in bucket/tray/box and spray/shake/spray/shake, let dry and dump in case feeder. The other thing I do on occasion is spray some case lube on a cotton swab and run it up into my seating die, Crimp die, and I'll run it around the mouth of the resizing die and powder drop - being careful to NOT get near opening for powder.

Good luck!

Scarlett

53 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

I use a quick spray of Hornady One Shot lube before a reloading session... I'll put a LOT of cases in bucket/tray/box and spray/shake/spray/shake, let dry and dump in case feeder. The other thing I do on occasion is spray some case lube on a cotton swab and run it up into my seating die, Crimp die, and I'll run it around the mouth of the resizing die and powder drop - being careful to NOT get near opening for powder.

Good luck!

Scarlett

Surprised you don't have powder contamination  issues, with the spray getting inside the case.

One Shot is a wax based lube.

OLG

Once upon a time, i used some brass for CAS, my machines were 2 Dillon 650's. Never had a problem with brass, fired Sat or Sun dumped cleaned,etc.

BORING!  Ordered 2000 pieces same brass,1000 per case, ahh, so new and shiny. 

Measured same brass, same caliber as I was using only the new brass was quite a bit shorter.  

Opened the second box of 1K new brass and it also was shorter, almost 2/8 ". 

Notified company etc, etc and etc. 

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Surprised you don't have powder contamination  issues, with the spray getting inside the case.

OLG

I don't spray it anywhere near my 650!!!!  I spray a tiny amount on a Qtip and swab out the seating and Crimp dies and around the neck of decapping die and VERY CAREFULLY (on rare occasions) around the powder drop/belling part. 

33 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

I don't spray it anywhere near my 650!!!!  I spray a tiny amount on a Qtip and swab out the seating and Crimp dies and around the neck of decapping die and VERY CAREFULLY (on rare occasions) around the powder drop/belling part. 

Your post had this one think'n that you just sprayed the loose cases, and then ran'em.....;)

OLG

I run all my new brass through the tumbler first, then dump in a box top and spray a little Hornady One Shot, shake and wait a few minutes to load. IMHO there's no need to chamfer or trim straight wall brass for CAS, I load four straight wall calibers and 44/40, never trimmed a case. Good Luck:)

5 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

OLG

I was worried about this issue and a friend ran some tests soaking some of the popular cowboy powders with One Shot spray.  He then loaded the soaked powder in his test cases.  He did not have a single round that did not fire with an expected sound report. Try that with Dillon lube and several will not fire.  I did it accidently. 

CCK-That surprises me, as we both live in a desert.

When I did the same test, several years ago, in HOT weather. Lots of issues with no-fire and hang-fire.

I will never do the 'spray & pray'.

I have found a Dillon like case lube to be the best for my needs.

OLG

Archived