SASS Wire Forum

"Oh, Give Me a Home..."

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Wasn't the usual method to just stamped them over a cliff?

It was but supposedly with the coming of the horse it was customary to hunt with horse and bow.

I suspect it was sometimes difficult to entice the herd to a cliff in the middle of the plains. 

4 minutes ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

It was but supposedly with the coming of the horse it was customary to hunt with horse and bow.

I suspect it was sometimes difficult to entice the herd to a cliff in the middle of the plains. 

Didn't have to be a big cliff, 15' or 20' would do the job.  There would be bound to be a few killed or crippled from a herd going over the edge of what amounts to a deep wash.   

My Indian name probably would have been "Chases Rabbits" as I'd have had serious reservations about hunting an 1800+ lb creature that might take exception to me sticking a spear or arrows in it. 

30 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

My Indian name probably would have been "Chases Rabbits" as I'd have had serious reservations about hunting an 1800+ lb creature that might take exception to me sticking a spear or arrows in it. 

Ah yes, but BEWARE OF THE OCCASIONAL ROGUE RABBIT

A charging rabbit has caused brave men to tremble and run. 

26 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

What's in the road that these big fellas are grazing on?

Popcorn, Snickers, a left over Bic Mac, detritus from the car

It's Yellowstone; aren't people instructed not to feed the critters?

Yes. But the rules only apply to everyone else, not them. "I know I'm not supposed, but they're so gorgeous!"

They seem quite calm and confident - and if I were that size, I guess I would be too.

Basically they've become 4-legged panhandling thugs

:D

8 minutes ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

A charging rabbit has caused brave men to tremble and run. 

Beat me to it by mere nano-seconds, Abilene! 

:D

3 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

You would be remembered in the movie "Dances With Bunnies". The sequel to "Dances With Wolves". None of the cast of DWW would be in your tribute movie though.

Your counterpart in the movie would be "Danced Under Bison" but his role would be more of a bit part...lots and lots of bits....

Guest Grass Range #51406

International Bison conference wants 1 million bison in Montana and some other contiguous state. No room left for cattle or farming

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:38 AM, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

I can't imagine facing them on horseback with only a bow and arrow. Those guys were tough.

There is a herd of buffalo running around Carson Nat. Forest in NM. Some idiot must have seen dances with wolves and started chasing the herd. a bull buffalo, turned and gutted his horse. The horse had to be shot, but the rider got off with a few bumps and bruises. Damn shame the wrong one got killed.

We give the buffalo a wide margin.

My Aunt and Uncle had two Bison cows as part of their cattle farm in Missouri. You could usually herd them when they were with the rest of the cattle without too many issues. However, if they were alone they only went where you wanted IF AND ONLY IF THEY wanted to.  If you walked along behind them they tended to move in a large circle rather than follow the fence line or natural obstructions. If you gently pushed them they would run around you and head back the opposite direction.  Push them hard and it was a coin toss to see if they would either bust through the fence or charge you.

I remember seeing a picture in one of my aunts magazines of a Bison half in and half out of a wooden sided rail road stock car. IIRC after being loaded he decided he wanted out and would have made it but he impaled his self on part of the car and bled out before finalizing his escape.

Wife's family in SD always gave lone bulls a wide berth. 2000 pounds of annoyed Bison can do a lot of damage and fences are only an obstacle to people and cars attempting to get out of their way. A bison on the rampage pay no more attention to fences than they do to brush and grass.

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:38 AM, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

I can't imagine facing them on horseback with only a bow and arrow. Those guys were tough.

There are documented accounts of Native Americans hunting Bison on foot with lances and with bows and arrows long after the arrival of the horse. As with anything, knowing your adversary paramount if you want to turn it into a food, clothing, and tool source rather than you yourself becoming fertilizer for prairie flowers.

On 9/10/2017 at 0:00 PM, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

What's in the road that these big fellas are grazing on?

It's Yellowstone; aren't people instructed not to feed the critters?

They seem quite calm and confident - and if I were that size, I guess I would be too.

LL

I'll bet they are licking salt.

Archived