SASS Wire Forum

lost a cat, good hunter today

Trigger Mike

when we left the city of Atlanta and moved to the country down in Vidalia, GA a stray cat showed up and stayed so after a few days we got food and fed him and he would bring his catch of mice or moles or rabbit to our door.  he would let me 5 year old and 12 year old son carry him but the rest of us could only sometimes get near him.  he showed up 4 years ago.  the dogs came later as puppies and the cat put them in their place so they do not bother him and they and the female kitten we found at the dump all sleep together when it rains or is cold.  today my wife came home and found him dead in the yard.  he was not there the hour before when she left.  there was vomit 3 feet away, and poop under him.  no scratches or bite marks or ruffled fur that we could see.  we wonder if a sickness got him.  my 5 year old cried and cried.  he would sit by her when she played in the dirt driveway or walk with her half way of the 2/10 mile to the mailbox and back.  he would stay with her until one of us came out then he would wander off to do his thing.  I always liked that about hm and since he was scared of me for an unknown reason i would purposely not look in his direction so he would not feel threatened.  since he may have been sick i thought it best to cremate him and bury what was left.  since i had hand surgery today that made it a chore but m 12 year old son was real helpful and i told him thank you

It's not easy to lose a friend like that.

TM, that's really sad...  but consider that he may have been poisoned.

If you have other small animals, you might want to check their environs carefully.  

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade without further introduction" - Mark Twain

I’m very sorry you lost your friend. I have a kitten who I adopted during my divorce. He has been my faithful companion and never fails to come check up on me when he senses I’m not feeling well. Around a month ago he ate a long strip of fabric I had just cut (luckily I saw him finish it off and knew what had happened). I rushed him to the vet and had to make a very expensive and difficult decision to save him, and as anyone who has been through a divorce can tell you, finances aren’t particularly robust as a result. I’m poorer in pocketbook but richer in spirit. I imagine you would have done the same if given the opportunity, and I’m sorry you didn’t get the same chance I did. 

:(

While poisoning is a possibility it is fortunately rare.  Vaccination will offer a lot of protection from diseases. But sometimes bad stuff just happens.

Sorry for your loss.  Our new kitten is now the boss.

"God made the cat to give man the pleasure of stroking a tiger."

Poisoning is a possibility especially if you live near other folks.  Snake bite might be a possibility.  For an otherwise seemingly healthy cat to die abruptly like that, I'd suspect something out of the ordinary.  I grew up around cats, lots of 'em, and they come and go, the outdoor cats most especially,  but generally don't just keel over for no reason.

I would not worry about creamating. I've been there... a shovel and a hole will work. 

So sorry for your loss.  It is especially hard on the kids.  Rescue kitties seem to know you have saved their life.  If you want to get one, check with the local shelter.  I learned years ago to keep all my cats inside all the time after having to visit an ophthalmic vet, an orthopedic vet, and several trips to the emergency vet.  It's cheaper to keep them inside all the time.

If you go on Amazon, they have some fairly inexpensive garden markers you can place by your pet's grave which I think is a nice reminder of great memories.

I concur with the rescue kitten or cat idea. Save a critter AND rescue your young 'uns hearts from their loss. 

I adopted a foster cat years ago. He is still with me, spoiled,  and I never regretted the decision.

Archived