SASS Wire Forum

Finally getting a new rifle.

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

I've been using the same Rossi 92 I got used back in 2002 for 15 years and I've decided that the lure of the 1873 is just too strong to resist. I'm currently shooting 45C, but I keep hearing that the 45 can have feeding problems in the 73. It seems to me that this is a problem that most likely has been solved already, but I just wanted to check in and ask the collective wisdom. Most shooters I know use the 92 or the 60 Henry. Does anyone have any compelling reason that I should switch over to the 44-40, or will my 45's feed just fine into this model?

Jack

44-40's are better with Blackpowder. Other than that 44 and 45 should feed the same. I have both and have seen no difference.

Ditto what Springfield Slim said.  I started with .45 Colt and never had a feeding problem.  However, when I switched to black powder, those thick, stiff, straight-wall cartridges let a LOT of fouling blow by and into the action.  .44-40 has a thinner case wall and expands easily to seal the cartridge in the chamber.  No muss, no fuss.  ;)

If you reload, you have to put roll crimp at the case mouth. With that, you will have no feeding issues. I use .44-40 in my 1860 Henry and 1866 Henry. I use a Redding die made especially for the roll crimp. After using this, never had a feeding issue. I had a Henry Big Boy in .45 colt, which I traded in, and I have an 1885 Low Wall in .45 colt. I use the Low Wall for target shooting for fun. After shooting both .44-40 and .45 colt for a number of years, I prefer .44-40, just my preference.

6 hours ago, Bucharest Jack , S.A.S.S. #60581 said:

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

I've been using the same Rossi 92 I got used back in 2002 for 15 years and I've decided that the lure of the 1873 is just too strong to resist. I'm currently shooting 45C, but I keep hearing that the 45 can have feeding problems in the 73. It seems to me that this is a problem that most likely has been solved already, but I just wanted to check in and ask the collective wisdom. Most shooters I know use the 92 or the 60 Henry. Does anyone have any compelling reason that I should switch over to the 44-40, or will my 45's feed just fine into this model?

Jack

I have never had a problem with my 73 feeding and yes it is .45LC

I deliberately chose .45 Colt rather than .44-40 in my '73 because brass is more readily available, the straight-walled case is easier to reload, and there was no problem with bullet availability before I started casting my own.  Blowback using black powder is more, but controlled with bullet weight (heavier), crimp (heavier), and lubrication.  It really doesn't take a lot of effort or expense to spritz the carrier between stages.

In a moment of weakness I sold that rifle.  If I ever replace it, I would still chose the .45 Colt.

It seems to me that this is a problem that most likely has been solved already

It is a problem that has NEVER EXISTED!  Unless those shooters you have been listening to did not know how to load their ammo.

Keep your Overall Length of cartridges in the range that your 73 rifle is set up for, and there WILL BE NO feeding problems with either Round Nose Flat Point or Truncated Cone bullets.   That cartridge length range for a factory stock rifle is usually from about 1.520" to 1.598"

Been using .45 Colt for many years in several 73s - never a problem that wasn't either my own dumb fault, or a loading mortise that was not properly beveled by the factory.   

Good luck, GJ

I shot my 73 for 12 years with no problem. I switched to 45 S&W and they cycled just as well. I shot black powder for many years and shooting ballistal occasionally kept the rifle working just fine. I switched to 44/40 five years ago and prefer this caliber for the reasons already listed. I shoot cap & ball so did not have to change revolvers. Shoot what you prefer and I know you will enjoy the 73. I still have a Hartford 92 that I try to shoot at least once a year in 45LC as well. Enjoy your new rifle. DC

12 hours ago, Lead Friend, SASS #53635 said:

In thirteen years (give or take) I've never once had a feeding issue with .45 Colt in a 73, 66 or Marlin 1894.

I have been shooting cowboy since 1993 and same as Lead Friend said 94, 73 in 45 colt feed great.  Bullett 19707

The only time I have heard of a feeding problem is when the person tried to run wad cutters through it.

Archived