SASS Wire Forum

On buying a new truck...

20 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Automatic transmission...?  THAT'll never happen!!  *=)) rolling on the floor

Naw... the Kid's a "stick and clutch" man.  ^_^

Heck... a few years ago he modified his '82 Mercedes 300D, yanked the automatic and transplanted a 4-speed manual transmission into it.  

Any towing he might do with it will be limited ~ fishing boat, maybe, or light utility trailer.  We have other full-sized trucks at home for heavier use. :)

Yeah, I used to be that way. But  I got tired of rowing myself around town.

Howdy,

This reminds me a little of a deal I made years ago.

If you can find a fairly experienced salesman on a slow day just maybe he will

take your ORDER for the truck you want....

I had shopped around and just got real frustrated and this fella decided he needed a sale.

So we went thru the options, I got what I wanted didn't get a LOT of the stuff they usually order.

I put down a deposit and Chevy built me a nice little silver car.

Some features didn't come ON the car, I put them on after the salesman bought

the parts at his discount.  That car would never sell to me today.

But if you want a stripped new car, sometimes that one saleman will help ya out.

But whatever you do get AC.

Best

CR

On 6/4/2017 at 4:50 PM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

One other thing-Do not fill out any preliminary form that wants your SS# and DOB. Do not give them your phone # or Email. Tell'em, you will call them.

Dealers are well known to run credit cks without your permission. ;)

The other thing to watch for, is some SOB try'n to push a lease.........

Remember-You're just a $$$ sign to'em, and that's ALL you'll ever be to'em..........

OLG

To add to this, something I will never do again is give a salesman my driver's license to test drive a car.  I'll let them see it, and if that's not enough, they can jump in the back. 

1 hour ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

This reminds me a little of a deal I made years ago.

If you can find a fairly experienced salesman on a slow day just maybe he will

take your ORDER for the truck you want....

I had shopped around and just got real frustrated and this fella decided he needed a sale.

So we went thru the options, I got what I wanted didn't get a LOT of the stuff they usually order.

I put down a deposit and Chevy built me a nice little silver car.

Some features didn't come ON the car, I put them on after the salesman bought

the parts at his discount.  That car would never sell to me today.

But if you want a stripped new car, sometimes that one saleman will help ya out.

But whatever you do get AC.

Best

CR

Reminds me of when I bought my truck.  To this day I'm thoroughly confused at how much time salesmen spent looking for my truck, and how reluctant they were to order it.  I understood they had stock that was financed and they wanted to get rid of it, but ordering my truck would have been a guaranteed sale.  Not ordering it was a guaranteed no-sale. 

Howdy,

The trick is to walk in on a slow day. NOT a weekend.

Salesmen like action when the store is empty they will do any deal

rather than just sit.

Best

CR

Okay... the deed is done.

One happy "kid!"  ^_^    (And Dad got his Miata back!!  *:D big grin )

Ryan%20New%20Truck%202_zpsrl64snu9.jpg

Wear a cowboy hat in that thing and it's gone.  Screw it down with a stampede string and ya become a cowboy version of the Flying Nun.  :rolleyes:

35 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Have you gotten to drive the new truck yet?

OLG

Nah.... got to ride in it, though.  

For a pretty basic vehicle, it sure has a bunch o' whiz-bang electronical gizmology built in to it.  I'm of an age where I'm torn between fascination and a sense of offense to my innate Luddite nature.  :mellow:

Sheesh... a screen on the dash with a TV camera in the stern?  Whatever happened to using mirrors or looking over one's shoulder??  "Mandatory on all new vehicles startin' next year."  :huh:

Felt kinda bad pointing out to the Kid "Hey!  There's no place to stow a rifle!"  His '86 has racks behind the seat.  But I gotta admit, it's a sight more comfy than the '86.  ^_^

7 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Nah.... got to ride in it, though.  

For a pretty basic vehicle, it sure has a bunch o' whiz-bang electronical gizmology built in to it.  I'm of an age where I'm torn between fascination and a sense of offense to my innate Luddite nature.  :mellow:

Sheesh... a screen on the dash with a TV camera in the stern?  Whatever happened to using mirrors or looking over one's shoulder??  "Mandatory on all new vehicles startin' next year."  :huh:

Felt kinda bad pointing out to the Kid "Hey!  There's no place to stow a rifle!"  His '86 has racks behind the seat.  But I gotta admit, it's a sight more comfy than the '86.  ^_^

I don't mind the back up camera in Mrs. Doc's new car, but I still use mirrors, thanks.

I was talking with a friend of mine on the subject of such things, and my love for cowboy guns and the like. And he laughed and said "when someone asks what religion you are, do you reply "Luddite?" 

2 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Thass me... "Orthodox Luddite!"  ^_^

I need a pair of dog tags with that. I'm suspicious of those Reformed Luddites...

Archived